1] Meeting Trevor

What to wear, what to wear. 

Kate hummed a Hunter Hayes song as she searched for an outfit to wear to her first day of school. She hadn't had time to unpack yesterday, so she rifled through the two bursting boxes of clothes that she had brought from Virginia. Her stuck her hands into the first box and yanked out the first thing she touched.

She tugged on a fitted black tank-top and layered a periwinkle cardigan over it. She squeezed herself into some dark-washed skinny jeans and slipped on the Tory Burch flats her mom had gotten her for her birthday. 

She checked the time on her phone. "Damn," she swore out loud. She was going to be late for class.

Kate quickly slapped on some mascara and eyeliner and grabbed her backpack and went out into the apartment foyer.  

The large expanse intimidated her. Everything was too shiny. Too pristine. She slid over to the marble counter and grabbed a banana. 

"Dad?" she said out loud, wondering if her dad might take her to school.

No answer. She thought about calling him, but decided not too.

I don't need him, she thought. I can walk to school by myself just fine.

Walking to school was impossible. The air was way too cold and Kate was huffing by the she finally got to school. Dozens of students swarmed about, walking in groups from the parking lot to the school building.

The bell rang. It sounded like an air horn. 

"Crap." Kate breathed. She still had to get her schedule. 

The nice lady at the counter of the office gave Kate her school schedule, and Kate groaned when she found out that she had Calculus first period. How was she supposed to do math problems at 7:30 in the morning? 

Luckily, she found her classroom quickly and entered just as the teacher was handing back papers. Nobody noticed her come in; all the students were chatting and using clicking away at their phones. Kate approached the bald man caught in the frenzy of handling loose papers. He seemed flushed as he strugged to hold the papers in his two arms.

She tapped his shoulder. "Uhh, Mr. Sandbit?" 

Mr. Sandbit mumbled something and pointed to an empty desk in the back corner of the room. He lost hold of a couple of papers and they went flying to the ground. 

"Here, let me help you." Kate picked the papers up and handed them to the teacher. He mumbled a thanks and Kate went to her seat in the corner. She glanced around the room. The place was in an uproar. Nobody was doing anything even remotely related to Math. She sighed and took out a notebook. At least she hoped Mr. Sandbit was a good teacher.

Kate never found out whether Mr. Sandbit was a good teacher or not. Every single word he said was mumbled out, and Kate couldn't hear a thing he said. The girl in front of her that smacked her chewing gum every five seconds didn't help either. 

"Mr. Sandbit?" Kate called out in the middle of a problem. "Could you repeat that?" 

The entire class turned to look at Kate. Some eyebrows raised. They had finally noticed they had a new classmate. But was she actually paying attention in class? That was unheard of. 

Somebody mimicked her. "Yeah, Mr. Sandbit, I didn't quite catch that," the unseen boy said in a squeaky high voice. 

Kate's cheeks burned. It wasn't her fault Mr. Sandbit had a voice only the front row could hear. 

To Kate's relief, the bell rang. She stuffed her notebook into her backpack and took off as quickly as she could. 

Second period, Kate had Film. She had chosen Film because she decided that since she was in LA, it might be interesting to take a Film class. Cinematography intrigued her.