The First Affair

I stared at myself in the mirror.  My ginger hair was sitting limply on my shoulders, like a clump of straw. Urgh, I thought, I would have to go back to the hairdresser's to get it fixed up again, I could never seem to manage to keep my hair in good condition. I saw an expression of surprise wipe itself across my face as I remembered our dire money situation. Would we even be able to afford that anymore? Ever since Charles started teaching poultry sciences at his university, he's been earning less and less money. No one seems to attend his lectures apparently, god knows why!

I sighed and leant over the sink, examining the small cracks that had begun to creep their way into the pale porcelain bowl. How much longer before those cracks enlargen to the point that they can no longer be repaired? It bugged me that my house was falling apart, my once beautiful and luxurious house that guests and neighbours fawned over with a passion and jealousy that brought a mischievous grin to my face. It was so unfortunate that I had to marry him, him who promised more money and riches than I could ever know. Why did he lie so blatantly to me and my family? I even gave up my amazing job as a parsley leaf examiner just so I could live the extravagant life that I didn't know I was already living. 

Deep in thought, I opened the wooden embroidered cupboard and felt around for a thin plastic case. Grasping it, I took it out and pulled the metallic silver zip, delving my pale hands into it to pull out a neon red primark lipstick. Disgusted, I grimaced as I applied it to my thin lips,  I was fed up of this no good skin-ruining makeup. I deserved more that this! 

Rubbing the last of my skin cream on, in an effort to cheer myself up, I found myself singing a type of broken backstreet boys song. It reminded me of when I was a teenager, hanging out with my girlfriends and searching up pictures of Nick Carter. I wish I could still do that now, without Charles being suspicious. I sometimes get annoyed with how uptight he gets when I talk about how hot other men are. It's ridiculous! I just simply don't understand him.

As I bopped my head to my own singing, I was startled by the sound of Justin Bieber's "Baby" ringing from the other side of the room. Hurriedly, I rushed to get it, and, holding up my phone to my face, saw Bentley's name displayed on the screen. 

Damn it Bentley, I thought, this is really not the time! My fingers shakily pressed down on the red icon as I bit down on my tongue, chucking my phone into the pile of Icarly towels by the shower. Footsteps started to sound in the corridor as I rushed back to the sink, quickly pulling out my Superdrug eyeliner. A couple of knocks sounded on the door, proceeded by a thick Northern accent:

-Who's calling you, love?

-Oh, nobody! And anyway, "Baby" isn't even my ringtone! You know that Charles!  You've heard my ringtone before ! Its "You're so vain"!

-Oh really? Sorry, love, its just that I've barely ever heard "You're so vain" as your ringtone. The only time I heard it was when I was trying to call you when you left your phone at home. 

-Umm... Haha yeah,  um sorry about that time...

-"Its no problem". I could hear Charles' voice getting quieter, probably because he was stepping away from the door. "Well, I think I better get on with my work," He said. "I've got to make a presentation on general poultry cleanliness for Monday."

-Ok sure! Good luck honey! I said, wiping the sweat off my forehead. I pressed my ear against the thin wooden door and listened as the sound of Charles' footsteps slowly faded away.

Relieved I backed down on the door, only now just realising that my fist had been violently clenched the whole time. Opening up my palm, I saw nail marks engraved into the centre of my hand. I had to be more careful. If Charles wasn't quite as gullible, he would've seen straight through my act, and then there goes my parents' support, my free housing and my Netflix, Crunchyroll and Disney + subscriptions. If that ever happened, I would be devastated. 

I stood up and crept over to my phone to see 10 unread messages. All from Bentley. Clicking on his name, I checked what he was so desperate to tell me about. 

I covered my mouth in excitement

I covered my mouth in excitement. Justin Bieber's new concert? No way. It wasn't possible that he had gotten any tickets, they all sold out within the first minute of being available! Clicking on the type area, I texted him back, asking how he got the tickets. He responded and said he won them in a raffle, and that he only had two. Amazed, I squealed and told him that I was coming. There was no way that I wouldn't go. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity where I can get to see Justin Bieber in the flesh! I would never turn that down. 

Later that evening I listened to all of Justin Bieber's songs, the anticipation building up inside of me like a Rocket ship about to launch. I couldn't believe this was happening! I had never been to a concert before, and the fact that my first one would be Justin Bieber just blew my mind. I knew I had to look good for the occasion, so I dug up through my secret clothing stash that I hid from Charles. It was impractical getting to it, because of all the pieces of floorboard covering it up. I had to stick my nails into the side of the wooden planks to pry it up. Eventually I managed to remove the wood and could lay my eyes upon my most prized possessions : A Justin Bieber sweater, t-shirt and fanny pack, a BTS army bag, a 'Free!' t-shirt and Zac Efron themed leggings. 

Rubbing my hands together I pulled out the Justin Bieber merch. This is what I would be wearing to the concert. I would be showing everybody around me including Bieber how much of a loyal, loving fan I am. I had never really had the proper opportunity to wear these clothes out, especially since Charles would probably divorce me or something, but now I had the perfect opportunity, and I was going to wear these clothes with pride! (well, once I get past of Charles that is.)

I quickly put my Justin Bieber clothes in my travel bag, ready for the concert night. I had to be prepared! I put back the wooden plank, glad that I wouldn't have to lift it again to get my clothes for the concert night. Then I took the travel bag and leant over into my closet, trying to reach the back corner. I had just managed to put it down when the door creaked open. Surprised I jumped and hit my head head on the pole in the cupboard. A jolt of pain hit the side of my head. 

- You ok, Karen? Charle's raspy voice sounded from the other side of the room.

-"Oh yeah" I said, "I'm fine." I wasn't really, my head was still throbbing.

- You sure? That looks like a nasty hit.

- I said I'm fine.

- Ok Then, well I came to tell you of some good news!

-"What is it?" I asked. Whatever it was, it couldn't be nearly as good as that of the concert. 

- Well, the school just offered me some tickets for us to go somewhere this Sunday!

I bit down on my lip. Huh? That's not possible! Next Sunday is Justin's Concert!

- 'What is it for?' I asked 

-  It's a concert of an artist called Dustbin... Beaver, I think. 

I could feel my mouth drop. This couldn't be happening. Both Bentley AND Charles invited me to the same concert? What am I going to do?!