The Main discussion.

I think I should clarify. You may think that I'm being hard on the series.
SAO was the first anime I ever watched, I know about it because it was in a Minecraft video I saw when I was 8. I am so hard on the series because I so desperately want it to be good.

You also, understandably think "what right do you have to criticise their sword play?"
I'm training to be a swordsman. I am currently skilled at fencing, and freehand duels (using a sword however you want)

I don't own any material mentioned in this document.

These are just the thoughts and ramblings of a mad man with a dream.

Now, I speak as someone who's a fan of SAO and I just want to express my opinion. I think that the main problem of SAO is how all the people who disagree with Kirito are the villains. Like everyone who so much as think something bad about Kirito in a genuine way is the villain. Like seriously. Plus he's way to overpowered, like this cuck can 1V1 a floor boss on his own and win. Another point against Kirito is I believe there should be a few female characters who aren't nutting every time he so much as breathes. It's just annoying, it just feels like instead of it being "oh a new season! I wonder which new character will be introduced!" It's more: "oh a new season. I wonder who Kirito will fuck now." It's just a little annoying. But that's just my opinion. How they could have improved it in the reboot (which they didn't) is swap Kirito out for a character who didn't have a whole "oh I've seen the worst of it all so I can fuck anyone I want" mentality, have someone who starts off a complete and utter joke of a person, absolutely weak as shit, and then give them character development to show them being able to stand on their own two feet instead of just a time skip off him now having god powers. Also, say that he transfers to a new game like ALO or GGO, don't make him keep his god powers, sure, make him be able to stay on his own two feet, but establish new characters who may not agree with him, but also aren't fucking Pedophile, rapist serial killers. For example, in SAOFB there is one example of this, who is Bazalt Joe. He wants an item from you and will frequently duel you for it, he isn't an ally at first but he isn't an enemy, you can even work around your issues with each other and manage to become friends for fucks sake! Hell, maybe if you have a villain then don't make them the literal worst person ever, sure make them a horrible person, but at least add character development which is more than just "oh I've simped for so and so longer than Kirito has so I should be able to date them and the only way around that is to rape them and kill Kirito". Have a character like Itsuki from SAOFB, have him have a reason to his madness, make him have a method to his murderous intent. Give them god damn character development. Also, half of the characters get like, an episode max for character development, that's utter horse shite. If they actually put time and effort into having different characters have different motivations than to fuck Kirito, then that would make SAO an objectively fucking fantastic anime.

As my Dad's only Male child (that we know of) he makes me take all sorts of different combat classes: Krav Maga, Korean kickboxing, Judo, Taikwando, and Kendo. Kendo is the closest sport to actual Katana combat since it uses a Boken, a Bamboo rod that has been made to resemble a katana. So I somewhat know my shit when it comes to this (I also was surprisingly good at it) Combat with a Katana/Kendo is purely waiting for your opponent to make their move and then being able to combat it effectively and be able to hit them, sure this can lead to some high speed bouts, but those normally last 10 to 20 seconds relying purely on how fast your opponent can block your unprovoked attack. Now, THIS IS THE ONLY TIME I WILL COMPLEMENT SAO ON THE ACCURATE PORTRAYAL OF SWORD COMBAT, Kirito's sister, Suguha (Leafa) partakes in the sport of Kendo. Her stance and swings are pretty near perfect. HOWEVER. Arguably the most commonly seen character in SAO who uses a Katana is Klein. Whilst I love and adore Klein, they made him fight with the Katana like it's a Saber. Saber fencing relies on using the weigh of your saber's downwards swings to knock your opponent's blade away for and easy hit. KATANAS ARE STUPENDOUSLY LIGHT. WHY. IF THEY MADE KLEIN USE A SABER IT WOULD HAVE BEEN 2 DAMN NEAR PERFECT FIGHTING STYLES. MAKE THAT 3 ACTUALLY CAUSE
I JUST REALISED. I'm going to go out of capital letters because I'm over using it, but the way Asuna fights with a Rapier is actually rather realistic if you keep it to her basic attack strings of slashing and stabbing, that's pretty close and accurate to actual fencing or rapier combat. So good on you for that one. BUT IM NOT DONE YET, KIRITO ISN'T GONNA STAND SO PROUD WITH HIS DUEL SWORDS BECAUSE:
A. BROADSWORDS LIKE HIS ARE SURPRISINGLY HEAVY
B. HIS ATTACK PATTERN PF HUGE HACKS AND SLASHES LEAVE HIM WIDE OPEN. AN ACTUAL IRL FIGHT AGAINST HIM, FOR ME, WOULD GO:
.doge his strike with two swords.
.Knee him in the ribs.
EASY. AND YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT? DIDN'T EVEN NEED A WEAPON! Now. You're probably wondering: "Ok asshole, how should he fight." To which I answer, "In Renaissance Italy, Fencers commonly carried two blades. One shorter one for blocking strikes made towards them, the other longer one for attacking."
To which I hope you reply: "Ok fair game"

I realised that Kirito's motorcycle looked kinda familiar. I had a search and realised it looked like a blue HAYABUSA. I then realised that it's one of the fastest motorcycles in the world. I then searched some more and found out that in Japan anyone of the age of 17 can ride a motorcycle of up to 400cc. A HAYABUSA has a 1340cc. This means Kirito will either face or a fine of 500,000¥ or 3 years in prison.

One problem I have is that the rest of SAO after (spoiler alert) they get out of the game, doesn't have any fucking thing to do with the game. If they actually showed Kirito developing as a character and not just being a God of both sex and combat, then it would be ok character development. THE ONLY TIME AND I MEAN THE ONLY TIME THAT SAO IS EVEN REFERENCED ON THE LATER PLOTS THAT IS EVEN VITAL TO THE PLOT IS THAT YHE LEADERS OF ONE OF THE OLD MURDER GUILDS AND HIS NONCE BRO WANT TO KIDNAP A GIRL WITH PTSD. WHAT THE FUCK. IF THEY HAD IT SO IT WAS A VILLAIN OF THE WEEK SORT OF THING WITH THEM BATTLING THE MEMBERS OF THESE PK GUILDS THEN IT WOULD KEEP THE ULTIMATUM OF GETTING THE FUCK OUT, AS WELL AS TRYING TO STOP LITERAL MURDERERS. HELL! MAYBE EVEM TELL US WJAT THE CHARACTERS ARE SCARED OF, WE ONLY FIND OUT THAT ASUNA WILL BREAK YOUR HEADPHONES IF SHE SEES A GHOST IN THE DLC FOR ONE OF THE GAMES. THE DLC FOR AN OPTIONAL, NON CANON GAME. WHY.