The Chase Is On

"So, where did he spot this guy?" I ask Daniel. Then, he responds. "I don't know, he didn't tell me that much." He continues. "He just said to come over because he said he has someone that might fit the description; so I've got good feelings about this one." That gave me comfort, but it was short lived by the fact that it could just be another everyday guy trying to live his life. Then I tell Daniel. "This has got to be him. It just has to be."

We get down to the CRPD station and see Johnathan with his dog Dufferson on the door of the station. Dufferson let out a happy bark and Johnathan had to restrain him from knocking us over and licking us on the face. Daniel goes over to pet Dufferson, but I go to Johnathan and ask, "Are you sure this is the guy?" He pauses for a moment, then gets an assured look on his face and nods.

Once we're in the station, Jonathan motions us to a, what looked like a meeting room. He opens the door and takes a seat to explain everything. "Daniel, Micheal, sit down and I'll explain who the new people are." I didn't even notice the 6 new people sitting down at the table. Then, Jonathan continues talking. "Allow me to introduce the new people. I've had some trouble with this case so I decided to form a team that could help me a little bit." He speaks again. 

"This is Marcus, he's the leader of this team." He pointed toward a man with a towering figure. He talks. "Then, there's Ashen, she's the brains of this operation. Next, there's the class clown, Jones." I can tell why he's class clown, just by looking at him. "Next, there's Brawn of the team, Bryon. He delivers our brute strength when we need it." He looks.. Intimidating. He finishes off speaking. "Don't be intimidated by him, he's a huge softie for cats. And Lastly we have Carmine. She's our backup if we need it." Then, Daniel speaks. "Now that we're all introduced, let's get down to business." As soon as Daniel finishes speaking, Marcus pulls out a long stick, and starts pointing to the table. "The last place we saw him was by the ocean. We checked the surveillance cameras around the town and found that he moved to a local shop. He hasn't moved since. Are you guys ready for this?" I'm ready as I'll ever be.. I guess. I think.

As we walk down the street, I look at the little stores that they have lined up. Then, it happens. Marcus whispers to us. "There he is, get ready." I slip out of reality. This is it. Everything that I've done to get here adds up to this. I can't mess it up. I won't. I'm grabbed back into reality by the tug on my sweater. It's Daniel. "Come on, Micheal! Quit daydreaming we got to go before he sees us!" He must've heard us because he looked at me straight in the eye for a split second, and started running as fast as he could. 

Then, everyone started running. Even though I didn't even think about running, I started to run too. I had to catch him. "Hey! Come back here, killer!" I shout. At the top of my lungs... And then the scariest thing imaginable happened.

He pulled out a gun and shot 5 shots at us. "Everybody okay?" Marcus asks. Everyone seems fine until I hear it. A whimper. Oh, no. Dufferson! I look back. Johnathan's there with Dufferson bleeding out on his lap. He cracks up and chokes. He doesn't look up while saying, "Catch him, Micheal. Just go!" But I can't. I'm frozen. Then, a split second my whole body from top to bottom is filled to the brim with rage. There is no other feeling or emotion in my body than absolute rage.

Then, I run faster than anyone there, faster than I've ever run before in my life. I catch up to him and grab him. "Why'd you do it?" I sound crazy. but that's not what I'm focused on right now. Then, out of the unexpected he responds. "Just get off of me!" Then he takes out his gun and starts shooting at random. 

"Ahhh!" I exclaim. He finishes firing. Or so I thought. He fires one more shot... And it gets me in the hand. "AAGGGHH." I bellow in pain. My hand's covered in blood. 

Even though its more painful than anything that I've experienced, I still grabbed on to him. With my bad hand too. And as soon as I got a good grip on him, I cuffed him with the handcuffs that Johnathan gave me before we went out. And finally, after everything I've went through, the loss, the struggle, it finally paid off and added up to this moment.