Home Sweet Home...

We got back to the police station and Johnathan took him in for questioning. And after what he did to Dufferson, he was furious. Every time I went close to the questioning room, I could hear him getting screamed at. 

But then there was me. I got shot right in the middle of the hand an it hurt. A lot. So, as soon as we got back, Marcus told me about the hospital down the street. Ding bong. The soft chirp of the door bell alarmed the desk nurse someone new walked in. I got to the desk and she asked me, "Hello, how can I help you today?" Then I dropped the news. I put my hand that was temporarily covered in napkins. "I got shot in the hand while doing some business with the CRPD." She looks, as I thought, very surprised. "Oh, no I'm so sorry. Janet! Janet!" A lady with a clipboard and a pen walked in. Then she saw my bloody hand and without saying a word, directed me to the ER. 

After a trip to the ER, I went back to the station to tell Johnathan I'm sorry about what happened. But when I got back, Marcus told me he left to the vet to check on Dufferson. He also told me this, which was really interesting. "The killer was charged with 2 first degree murders and is serving a lifetime sentence. Turns out this guy has been the murderer we've been looking at for a while." 

When I got to the vet, I asked that I was looking for a detective Johnathan, and he directed me to one of the left rooms. Then, I saw him. "Oh my goodness! Johnathan, are you okay?" He doesn't flinch, but starts to talk. "I'm fine. Dufferson's not.... They're putting him down in an hour." It's silent. "I'm so sorry.. He was a very good dog." 

55 minutes later I walk out the vet. 10 more minutes pass and Johnathan walks out the door. We don't speak. We just walk. Everyone says their sorry's and suddenly I notice, this is it. Goodbye, Costa Rica. 

3 days later....

I'm back home. Back to the old routine. I did it. As soon as I settle in back home, I drove to my mom's house. When I pull up to the driveway, I see her taking care of some of her flowers. But something's different. She must've got a dog to help her with the loss. She looks at me in awe. Then, she smiles. 

I get out the car and give her a big hug. "I did it mama. I got the murderer." A tear rolls down her cheek, and then I start getting emotional too. Then I continue. "And who's this little guy, huh?" I chuckle while saying so. "This, this is Riley." As soon as she said that Riley jumped up and licked me on the face. She reminds me of Dufferson...

Thanks you for joining me.

This was The Costa Rica Killing.

Goodbye...