Seconds

Matter of seconds, matter of coded hints that could've saved her.
My daughter. My precious baby.
My six year-old child, stripped from her life.
Her last breath struggling to keep holding onto reality.
But soon it faded away, her body stopped shaking from nervousness and high choking sounds.

"Mama!-

A clicking noise from a flintlock locking her as a target made itself announced. I tried to throw myself in to protect her but it was too late. The bullet had made it's way to hurt her, piercing through her dress, biting at her back skin and hitting her lungs. A cough accompanied by blood coming out of her mouth as she reached out for her Father, who took heel to her and caught her in his protective arms.

-"CONSTANTINE!" He sounded alarmed, I couldn't stand from the place I was at, so he walked to me. Sat trembling beside me, I could feel his anger and utter disbelief and sadness flourishing on his skin.

She spoke, -"Mam... Mama..."
A cough, blood edging on her lips and caught on her throat that wouldn't let her speak. I tried to keep her calm, easy, and brave in the situation.
-"I'm here, cher - I could feel my voice breaking, my heart shattering into smithereens - Mama will always be with you. Mama and Papa love you, my princess. Mama needs you to try and breathe easily, calm down, I promise it won't hurt. You'll be alright my baby, you will be, I promise on my life."

-"I love you.. My precious Constantine." I had never heard Arno's voice with such a melancholy and heart smashing tone, tears trying to not gush out of his eyes and he hugged both of us.

-"Je t'aime."-

Those were her last words. Life vanished from her as if consumed by air. The soft red that covered her cheeks, gone. The paleness almost alive on her. My bottom lip gave it away, tears stinging at my eyes at the sight of Constantine. I was strong before she left, but no longer once she did. I shook in confusion and pain, how could my only child be taken from me so mercilessly? Why?
I dug on my hands through her hair and brushed it as sobs and cries ripped out of me, Arno held me, as he always did. He held me, silent tears rolling down his face.