Chapter 1: I didn't lose my sight!

-

"𝗔𝗹𝗹 𝘄𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘄"

-

There was a scream.

She jolted awake from her slumber, throwing her sheets off of her frail body.

Another.

There it was again. Toni jumped out of her bed and sprinted for her door knob, pulling it open. She didn't think twice about sprinting into action.

There was no time to think twice these days.

Every second counts.

She quickly ran downstairs, nearly tripping over her own feet as she rushed to see what was going on.

As she made it to the bottom, her eyes immediately shifted to the source of the horrific sounds.

Avery.

She released a repressed breath as she laid eyes on her sister, lying on the couch, her body frozen, and her face pale. She looked scared half to death.

The older girl put her hand on her chest, heaving from the scare.

She knew what this was.

Avery had been having nightmares for the past few months, Toni was there everytime. They were all each other had. It'd been this way for a while.

She scurried over to the younger girl, pulling her into a loving hug, caressing her head as she whispered into her ear.

She knew she couldn't hear it, but it comforted Toni more than anyone else.

"Hey, Avery, it's okay." she whispered. Avery opened her eyes at the feel of her sisters gentle touch. "It's just another nightmare." She comforted.

Toni sat there for a while, combing her fingers through Avery's hair, making sure she'd be okay.

The younger girl had constant sleep terrors when she was little (but they'd just recently returned). Always having mom check under the bed, in the closet, or behind the curtains because of her constant paranoia.

"I'm sorry." Avery whispered. "It's okay." Toni breathed. She was just glad her sister wasn't hurt.

Avery got meningitis when she was just 7 years old, causing her to lose her hearing. That's when the change began.

They had to move out of the city so Avery could attend a school for the deaf, where she'd learned sign language, and maths, and science.

At the school, they taught her things most children didn't have to learn, like how to read lips, and now to communicate without being able to hear her own voice.

It helped more than most could ever understand. Gave Avery a sense of euphoria. The family of four also learned sign language, to communicate to Avery, and those alike.

Avery, now 16 and Toni, 19, they've basically mastered it. Although, Toni will sometimes forget to turn to Avery when she's speaking, so Avery can read her lips.

There was a long beat of silence before either of them spoke again. They were just relishing in each other's presence. Avery could feel the beat of Toni's heart as she laid with her head on her sister's chest.

"I miss mom..." Said Avery, barely above a whisper. If it wasn't for how close they were, Avery isn't sure Toni would've heard her.

"I do too." Toni admitted. She was never good at showing her feelings ever since they lost both their parents. But she felt them, and they hurt.