Chapter 3: This isn't me

-

"𝗜𝘁'𝘀 𝗮𝗹𝘄𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗮𝘂𝗹𝘁"

-

Getting home that night was pretty smooth for both Toni and Avery, plus the newest addition to the group, Cheryl.

The three didn't encounter too much danger. Other than the 3 walkers they saw, shot, and killed; things went generally well.

A few days had passed since then. The three hadn't left the house, having had no reason to. They spent their time getting to know Cheryl better, and Cheryl spent her time earning their trust.

Her intentions were honest, she just needed a bit of time to convince them of that.

Both Avery and Toni got a chance to know Cheryl. Know her past, her present, and even her future plans.

She told them that her family used to own a farm somewhere in the South and that's where she plans to go sometime in the near future. She never specified the exact location of the farm but she's been traveling state to state until she reaches it.

"I miss my home- I need some sort of grounding." She'd said. "I don't know if any of my family is still alive but... If they are, they'll know to go there."

The two also found out that Cheryl's mom died giving birth to her, so she grew up with only a father.

You can imagine how the whole puberty talk went... 

It was also discussed that she grew up in a house in Vermont with her older brother and her dad.

Her father loved her mother so much that she vowed to always stay loyal to her, even after death parted them, so Cheryl never had any semblance of a mother figure around.

"It wasn't easy growing up with all men, that's why I spent most of my summers with my grandma, aunts and cousins." Toni recalls Cheryl explaining when they walked down the empty road.

She now stood in the kitchen, making bacon, eggs, and pancakes for breakfast. The eggs and bacon were cooling on the counter as she mixed the pancake batter, still hot.

The redhead walked down the stairs, her hair still damp from her morning shower. "Your water pressure is amazing." she smiled, sitting down at the table.

Toni had given her some gray PJ's with doggies on them the night before, she was happy to see her wearing them.

"Breakfast is served." The girl quipped, sitting Cheryl's plate in front of her. "Juice is in the fridge."

"Thanks." The redhead smiled, picking up the syrup.

Just then, Avery walked down stairs with headphones in. Jamming to the vibrations rather than the sound.

"Hey A." I laughed, waving to get her attention.

"Hey!" Cheryl smiled.

Avery looked up then, removing the headphones from her ears. She walked over to the counter, stealing a piece of bacon from the cooling plate. At this, Toni slapped Avery's hand with a playful, "Hey!"

Avery leaned on the island, chewing her food. She stood in complementation for a moment. Once the girl gathered her thoughts, the widest grin spread across her face as she glanced at her sister.

"What?..." Toni questioned in suspicion.

Avery quickly averted her eyes, smiling. She waited a few beats before speaking. "We should go exploring today." Avery suggested, taking a sip from her glass of juice. "I'm homesick, and so is Cheryl!"