Let's meet again

The gala was breathtaking. Rich people in masks walked around, sipping their champagne. Everyone was blissfully unaware of the thief in their mix. Kokichi walked around the room. He got a few stares. His checkerboard mask stood out heavily against the golden and silver masks of the other guests but he was prepared for the questions.

"Boss are in position yet?" His earpiece crackled alive with the nervous and very annoyed voice of his second in command.

"Relax Yuri. I was just checking out the scenery. We haven't visited a gala in a few months" Kokichi turned around, taking a drink of his soda and bumped into the face he was most excited to see.

"A-ah! I'm so sorry about that! I should've been looking where I was headed" Saihara looked flustered as he bowed nervously. He was wearing a mask but Kokichi could recognize him anywhere.

"Don't worry about it. I was being dumb" Kokichi waved his hand and searched the detectives eyes for any form of reognition. When it never came, Kokichi smiled. His disguise was perfect. He would have to treat Mayumi to dinner when this was all over. "So, are you here with anyone handsome?" Kokichi smirked up at the now very red Shuichi.

"Oh! Um no I'm here alone: It's for business." The detective rubbed his neck with his hand sheepishly.

"What a shame. We simply must dance!" Kokichi extended out his hand but before Shuichi had a chance to take it, Kokichi's earpiece buzzed to life again.

"Listen boss, as much as I'm enjoying the sexual tension, I need you to remember that we didn't come here to flirt and we came to steal THE JEWELS THAT HAVE BEEN OFF RADER FOR A YEAR" Kokichi grimaced and pulled his hand away.

"Raincheck on that dance Shumai. I simply must go!" He took off leaving a very confused Shuichi. He stood in place for a second before the words processed in his head. There was only one person on this planet that called him Shumai.