CHAPTER 4 : NINE QUESTIONS

Ezhil still hadn't found answers to any of those questions posed by the Chief, or her own mind. But she did realize one thing – that Maahir was speaking on behalf of her, and she couldn't remember the last time someone had spoken on behalf of her.

Chief had folded his arms, closed his eyes and plunged into a deep train of thought. He could have easily been a statue if not for his right forefinger that was dancing on up and down on his elbow. Vikasa was still chomping her biscuits beside them and Ezhil had certified her to be benevolent since she had shared two of her cookies out of the three packets she had devoured in the meantime.

"Okay, I'll consider her," announced the Chief, opening his eyes, "But I won't draft her in just like that. Let's play a game. If you win, I'll recruit you."

"But-"

"I am talking to her, Maahir."

Maahir gulped. The first lesson anyone learns in Squad 5 is that Chief can be really scary, when he wants to.

"Sure," replied Ezhil, without thinking twice. It wasn't like she had a choice neither. Nancy had elucidated her the process of regular recruitment clearly. It had several phases including written examinations. She was well aware she had no chance whatsoever of clearing them, owing to the fact she hadn't even attended high school. This is the only practical way for her to join Trixy.

"That's good. Vikasa, take Maahir and wait outside. I want no interference during the game."

"Wait- " said he, wanting to protest but Vikasa had already grabbed his back collar and dragged him out without difficulty. She hurled him at one side of the door, adjacent to Quiroshi, who was only too cheerful to welcome his new companion, and sat at the other side, leaving the door open to listen in.

Chief pulled open a drawer and got out a bunch of white cards, two markers and a stopwatch. He gave a marker and four of the cards to her before setting five for himself.

"This will be a simple question and answer game," said he, closing the drawer and regarded his visitor, "You'll write four questions in the cards provided for you and I'll write five in mine. We will then shuffle all nine of them and place it on the table faced down. You won't know which card has which question. You will take a card at random. If you are able to answer the question, I'll take the next card. The game continues until one of us is unable to answer the question."

"What happens when we have answered all nine questions?"

"You are recruited."

"Really?"

"Really."

"What if you are unable to answer a question?"

"You are recruited, again. But in case you end up not answering, you fail. That doesn't mean you are banned permanently from Trixy though. The regular exams are always open and anyone skilled enough is always welcome to my squad."

"What if I give a wrong answer?"

"Hmm," said he, scratching his chin, "There won't be any right or wrong answers, not for my questions. As long as the answer satisfies me, it is a right answer. But you get only ten seconds to answer. No extra time. The questions should not contain your name or my name. Avoid personal questions about yourself as much as possible. Remember, I can always disqualify a question if I deem it absurd or implausible. Start writing your questions. You have five minutes."

Ezhil opened her marker and began jotting her mind down. Maahir and Vikasa, who had been listening to the entire conversation were quite surprised at the developments. Maahir let out an obscure sigh.