CHAPTER 25: GABBAR

Dan's informant, as he called him, was an old, pot-bellied, grey haired man, constantly chewing pan parak, who owned a small pawn shop and jewellery in Richie street.

"Are, Saab!" he greeted Dan, as they pushed open his shop's door, "Where is Aravind Bhai?"

He didn't look as worried as he sounded about Aravind's absence though. His Galia was quite hard to grasp and had distinct traces of Dhini, of the western states, from where his grandfather probably migrated some eighty years ago.

"I did not come today for him, Gabbar Bhai," said Dan, taking a seat and signing others to do the same as well, "And it might be better if you can keep my visit a secret from Aravind too. We are here for a different matter. These two want to put a few pieces they have in the Monthly Mela."

Their Gabbar Bhai was one of the many small-time traders across Vinpur, who has black accounts in Nila bazaar and use it occasionally to sell off a few rare, illegitimate items that come across. They try not to deal with anything major and most of them have never visited the bazaar themselves and hope they never would have to. There are a lot of middle men operating in between, making his job a lot easier and their job a lot harder.

The only difference with Gabbar was that the items he would like to sell in the black market could enter the waiting list only after getting approved by his Aravind Bhai. Gabbar became Aravind's secret spy after he caught him red-handed once trying to sell a few kilograms of Matte Blue - an illegal drug that enhances the skills in certain atrial types. Since then, he spies on the Monthly Mela every month for them, instead of spending a few years in the jail, and Aravind pays him sometimes for his hard labour.

The Monthly Mela is a low tier auction sale held in Nila bazaar every month. A catalogue listing all the pieces would be released every month and one can get the catalogue for a basic price if one knows where to ask. After that, even if the process is rather complicated, anyone interested to buy a piece he sees in the catalogue can contact the dealer for negotiations. If more than one buyer turns up, it's the dealer's choice whom to sell and the bazaar will get a commission out of the transaction.

One can remain anonymous if one wishes to, but only from buyers and dealers, not from the bazaar itself. Gabbar's duty is to check the catalogue regularly and report if anything unusually bizarre turns up and keep a look out for certain items that Aravind asks for. He also sells a thing or two, now and then, to stay incognito.

"Aravind Bhai-"

"He need not know about this. Like I told you, this is not about our case," said Dan, "These guys will pay for the entry and pay for your work too."

Gabbar seemed to consider his options for some time but agreed eventually.

"What is that you want to sell?"

Maahir took out the amulet from the bag and passed it to him. Gabbar scratched and examined it with a magnifying glass before going into another dark closed room. He returned after further five minutes of inspection.

"This is absolutely normal," said Gabbar, placing the chain on the glass top, "Even the gemstone is nothing but crystallized coral. Forget about the price, it would be a miracle if you even get a buyer. But you need not worry. People often have this misconception that anything goes for a better prize in the black market. It's not at all true. Give this amulet to me and I'll make sure it gets sold to a price you can't even imagine. I know a few-"

"No," said Maahir sharply, "We want it to be in the catalogue this month. Just tell us how much it will cost and when the catalogue will be released."

"Oh," said he, slightly discontented, "But this month's timeline is already over. You'll have to wait for the September catalogue. The entry fee would be two thousand odas."

Maahir sighed in disappointment. It was to be anticipated. The date was only 31. They are definitely not going to get another thirty days to track a single killer.

"Let's give it a shot, Maahir," said Ezhil, "What are we going to lose, apart from the two thousand bucks?"

"Two thousand five hundred, madam," said Gabbar and grinned broad. Oh yeah, she forgot this guy's charge.

"Very well, then," said Maahir and turned to Gabbar, "Get that amulet in the next month catalogue along with everything in this bag."

"What's in this?" he asked, eyeing it suspiciously.

"Certain things that belonged to the amulet's previous owner. Sell it along with the amulet. The buyer might be interested in them."

They had planned this earlier too. The amulet had no unique designs or markings. It would look like any other amulet with a gem stone if they advertised it plainly. So, they decided to add some special effects by selling everything that was in the bag. It might, he hoped, provide an identity of the ex-owner to the buyer.

Gabbar looked a bit baffled but agreed to do as he was bid. He had learnt not to ask questions, if it does not concern him. All he was going to do was take a photo of everything and drop it with the fee to the one beggar seated in front of the Kabali temple.

They paid him the two thousand five hundred odas and set out to join the crowded masses of the Richie Street to spend the remaining day playing mistress to their one day liege, Dan Manacker.