One

A/N: Because I'm feeling nice today, you guys get the first chapter. I am swarmed with school work at the moment (my teachers got trigger happy with the essays), plus I am having a bit of writer' block so I won't be able to update as consistently as I hoped. Anyhoo... I don't own any of the characters except for Leila and a few other OC's. On to the story!

Leila

"Leila LaFleur was anything but extraordinary. She lived for nothing, she believed she was nothing, until one day, that all changed." I said to myself, repeating the opening line of my English paper over and over again, "Stupid writers' block!" I yell out. In my frustration, I hadn't heard the final dinner bell being rung. 

"LEILA!" I look up from my assignment and glance at the clock. "Shoot!" I scream out, hurrying to clear the papers from your bed. "Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot!" As always, I'm late for the orphanage's dinner.

 Now you're probably thinking, "Oh no! Pour little orphan girl." Yeah well, I don't want your sympathy. I never knew my parents. There was no tragic accident, no one died. They just didn't want me. 

I raced down the stairs as fast as I could, trying to come up with a good enough excuse to be late, no one would pardon me for trying to do my homework.

 As I reached the last step I looked up to the cold hard eyes of Sister Zeller, the head nun of St. Mary's Home for Orphaned and Lost Children. 

"Leila," She said, her commanding voice snapping me out of my thoughts, "Why were you late?".

  "Alright," I said to myself as I mustered up an innocent look, "Showtime". 

"Oh why Sister Zeller," I said, innocence practically dripping from my tongue, " I was coming down on time, honestly! But my hair got stuck on the banister and I couldn't get it off!"

 I looked up at her and waited. 

Her hard stare fixed into mine, trying to find a shred of doubt, or even worry, pass my eyes. Trying to see if I was lying.

"Well then, I have just the right solution for you." She replied, with a demented grin "Come see me after dinner, and don't be late."

 I gave her a quick nod and ran off to my corner table, wondering what she meant by a solution. Whatever it was, it couldn't be good.

---

I looked around at the office, trying to notice the little things, to take every horrible detail in. The soft, yet hard and uncomfortably small chair I was forced to sit upon, the flaking, dull pink-gray paint on the walls, the horrendous texture of the popcorn ceiling.

 All to avoid looking at her. That monster somehow called a human.

 It amazed me, how people thought she could care for children. But as long as those "poor orphaned souls" had somewhere to sleep and bathe, a toothbrush and food... people couldn't care less.

My head whipped back as the old mahogany door to her cave swung open.

It really shouldn't be called a cave, it was actually quite nice. A quaint little office that gave off an air of comfort, as if it should belong to your dear old grandmother. The only problem was, she occupied it. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to find a few dead bodies locked away in a cupboard somewhere around here.

In through the door came a very squat woman, it actually seemed as though she had been compressed into her form. Small, yet large. I inwardly gasped as I looked at her face. Three long scars marred her visage, looking as though she hadn't gone to get them properly taken care of. 

She promptly brushed past me and turned towards the dragon, and it greeted her. 

With a smile.