Ch.54 Devoted

Chapter 54

48 hours later.

Clare sat staring at the flames dancing on the candle. Her family and her council gathered around her as they made plans for Maksim's funeral. Their words began to slowly snap off the strings in Clare's mind one by one. She felt Ares trying to mind-link her, but she was in no state to speak to him.

Suddenly, without a warning or peep, Clare stood up from her chair. She hated sitting in her brother's chair. It was too big and uncomfortable. The whole room grew hush as they looked up at the new Queen.

"There will be no funeral," she announced. "My brother is not dead. Your king is not dead."

"Clare...." Xavier called to her but she shook her head.

"Ella and Maksim are going to be happy," Clare said the words slowly and carefully. "I've seen it. They're going to have many children. My brother is going to be happy."

Mavi shut her eyes as the pain in her chest ignited. Owen did not know how to comfort her as he drowned in his own pain. No one knew what to say as Clare stared at them. She suddenly turned to Tobias and paused.

"Clare, you know I can't do that," Tobias said. "It's my realm but the gods are all against me right now."

"Never mind that," Clare said. "I have other plans in mind."

Tobias looked at her curiously but the girl walked out of the room. She left everyone stunned as she slammed the door and headed for the lab. Cleo followed her out and rushed after her.

"Clare," she called to her sister. "What are you doing?"

Clare didn't reply as she began to search through the shelves of books Gemma and Maya kept. She pulled out a chair and stood up to reach the higher shelves.

"You shouldn't be doing that," Cleo frowned. "Clare, please. Just talk to me. What's going on?"

"I'm not pregnant," Clare said, not bothering to turn around.

"What?"

"It was Ella," Clare climbed down from her chair. "Ella was in the room when I smelled something. She was at the breakfast table when I wanted bacon and we didn't notice but she was also throwing up that you were in the bathroom with me. I was mirroring Ella's symptoms."

"But how ca-"

"I took a test," Clare pulled open drawer after drawer. Coming up empty on whatever she was searching for. "Mimzy checked. No baby."

"Does Ares know...."

"I don't have time for this right now, Cleo!" Clare slammed her hands down on the table.

Cleo flinched from her sister's harsh tone. Her eyes water slightly but Clare had no energy to comfort her. She pushed past the girl and rushed down to the family vault.

"You highness," the guards bowed as Clare punched in the code and the doors slid open.

The princess turned queen marched into the room and headed straight for Gemma's section. She pushed past all the potions and trinkets until she found the thing she needed.

The guards, curious to see what the queen was up to, all jumped back as Clare walked out with the fey spell books. She told them to close up after her as she rushed back to her room.

"What are you doing with those?" Heyder asked as he passed her in the hall. "Clare......Clare!"

Clare ran into her room and locked the door. She raised her hands and placed a shield around it that she knew not even a jinn could penetrate.