A Day to Remember

It was a big announcement on a celeb's Twitter feed that got my attention. The beloved 1997 animated film Anastasia was being adapted into a stage musical. My longtime celebrity crush Ramin Karimloo was to play the dashing and complex villain Gleb, his second Broadway role. I got the cast album as soon as I could get it and listened to it. What's a girl to do when her favorite actor is in a version of one of the best princess movies ever? I could just picture the costumes, the scenes and hear the magically haunting sound of Anya's music box. The lead actress Christy Altomare was perfect as Anya, the heroine, and Derek Klena looked just like the hero Dmitry did in the movie.

So, you could imagine my surprise when my mom surprised me for my twenty fifth birthday to go see the the show....on Broadway no less! I had to wait awhile for a date, but it seemed so worth it for one reason; the weekend of the show was the same week as Ramin's birthday! I was so excited I brought a perfect gift for him; a slouch hat I had knitted. Ramin wears hats a lot and for an added touch I had knitted it in camouflage yarn in honor of the veterans charities he had supported. I had a lot of hope because he does the stage door a lot. For the cast to autograph, I brought my Anastasia storybook from when I was little.

The show was absolutely amazing and so beautiful! Christy Altomare stole my heart when she sang "Once Upon a December" and "Journey to the Past" and Mary Beth Peil sounded just like legend Angela Lansbury did in the film. At curtain call, I blew a kiss to Ramin as he took his bow.

Finally, it was time for the stage door. I was so excited I ran down the sidewalk (according to relatives) as fast as I could and waited eagerly.
The crowd was organized chaos when a few of the cast members came out. First, an adorable little girl who played 7-year-old Anastasia, who charmed the fans with a princess wave. Then Derek Klena and John Bolton, who didn't stick around, probably because Derek was mobbed by a crowd of teenage girls. Christy came and was warmly received by fans. Sadly, Ramin didn't come. I decided that one autograph was better than none at all and waited for Christy to sign my playbill and storybook.
She walked right up to me, signed my book, and then sweetly said "Oh! Did you want me to sign it?" I didn't find out until later that a lot of fans were giving her movie memorabilia as gifts.
I told her yes. She happened to ask me why I was in the city and I innocently answered that I was there for my birthday. I think she also noticed I looked a little sad when a security guard said that no more cast members would be coming. She asked my cousin to turn on the video for his phone, took my hand, and sang "Happy Birthday" to me! I gave her a hug and a very heartfelt thank you. She even replied with a sweet "I love you." If I hadn't been such a nervous wreck, I wouldn't have walked off.

I was so happy I sent two fan letters to Christy in hopes of getting a reply. None came, but I didn't give up hoping. I was holding out on hope so bad that I made a beautiful purple cable hat with a diamond pattern that kind of reminded me of a Fabergè egg. Laid up with a bug, I made a very pretty friendship bracelet consisting of the colors of the show's logo and Anya's gowns and  I held out on sending Christy's gift, wanting to wait until I saw her in person, no matter how slim the chance. I even made two bracelets for Ramin to go with the hat I made him, packing them away in a box of memorabilia to wait until I can see him in person again.

It was about a year later that I saw a music video for cystic fibrosis charity Emily's Entourage. Christy, along with a few other stage actors sang in it. I was so moved! CF is very personal to me because my birth mother died of it when I was six months old. I immediately reached out to the organization and even donated some money from a craft show I participated in.
When it was announced when the final show of Anastasia was on Broadway, I knew I had to send the gift to Christy Altomare. I felt so good putting it in the mail! I might even make her something if I see her in person again.

Here's to hoping that 2021 will give me some opportunities to see some of my favorite show people again.