5. No Regrets

Angelina

"Dios Mio! What happened, Angelina?" Tia's frantic voice made her feel guilty. 

But only a little bit. It was 2 AM and she had to disturb their sleep. That was her only regret.

The man sprawled on the kitchen floor was unconscious. Her doing. And she was glad. He deserved it.

"His fault, Tia. He attacked me and threatened to lock me in a cell. I mean, I already told him you would speak to El Patrón about me in the morning but he wouldn't listen. And I did what I had to do...." Angelina stopped. Everyone was looking at her in shock. Another lady, a carbon copy of Tia Juanita was smiling from ear to ear. Tio Ramon was struggling not to laugh. "What?"

Tia clucked her tongue. "As if she needs more encouragement, hermana. Ramon, get some of our men so we can transfer Rafael to his quarters. And prepare a bath. He stinks of tequila." Her nose wrinkled.

At times like this, Angelina had to repeat Tia's words in her head to interpret them in English. Tia was inclined to speak too fast for her to follow.

That beautiful man was named after an archangel. Rafael. Nice. If only he was not an asshole. But then he was drunk. Maybe he was more amenable when he was sober?

"Have you told El Patrón about me, tia?" Unsure of her status in the household that took her in. She just rendered one of their guards unconscious.

"I can't, mija," Tia answered. Guilt was written on her face.

"Why?" Now, Angelina was getting worried.

"Because he retired early and drank himself to a stupor and now you knocked him unconscious." Tia Juanita glanced down, concerned.

"What? That's El Patrón?" Pointing at the man snoring on the floor.

Again, Tia's carbon copy laughed. "It's not funny, señora." Angelina addressed the woman. "He is going to kill me when he wakes up."

"My name is Lucinda, hija. Call me Tia, too. And no, he is not going to kill you. We will make sure of that. Come, here." Without waiting for her to move, the lady pulled her in a welcoming embrace.

"I'm Angelina." She closed her eyes and savored her warmth. Lucinda felt like tia Juanita. So comforting. "I'm still hungry. The boss interrupted my dinner." She grumbled.

Chuckling, Tia Lucinda guided her to the kitchen aisle. While they waited for some of the men to help them transfer El Patrón, the lady watched the young angel-like beauty eat with enthusiasm. No artifice. No care in the world. Her brown eyes glowed with approval.

Angelina remained thoughtful while she finished off the food in her basket. Her gaze again drifted to the floor. A young and very very attractive boss. Hmmm... And she'd bet her blue-violet eyes, that he was a mafia leader, too. She was very sure. It was too easy to recognize.

Why? Angelina had no idea. Her lack of recollection of her old self was a nuisance. The odd thing was, she knew how to fight. She was very good at it. Taking down a man twice her size. Wow. And rendering him unconscious in a second with just a press of her thumb on a pressure point on his neck. Amazing. Thank you, maman.

Where could I find, mamanPerhaps she'd gain more recollection soon. With the way things were, she didn't think she would be welcome in this household much longer.

"Stop mulling over what happened tonight, Angelina. It was just a misunderstanding. All will be straightened out when El Patrón wakes up." Tia Lucinda patted her hand and her sister Juanita nodded in agreement.