Hyuk was cold. The tile floor of the kitchen was sapping him of warmth. At least his body matched his heart, now. Dried tears left salty paths of stiffness on his face, and he stared at the ceiling blankly.

He was doing a very successful job of not thinking about it. N had called him again, but thankfully the conversation had been brief, just details that he knew he wouldn't remember.

He was busy memorizing everything about her – where she was born, her favorite pizza toppings, the song they had danced to the night they met... remembering was pleasant, and helped to distract him from the coldness in his chest.

Someone entered, and Hyuk smiled dreamily.

"Soomin-ah..."

"Hyuk? Hyuk, what happened?" Leo knelt beside Hyuk, his eyebrows furrowed with worry.

Hyuk sighed, realizing that it wasn't Soomin after all.

"She died, Leo. She was hit by a car..."

Leo didn't answer, just stayed there a moment before pulling Hyuk into his arms and lifting him, despite being slightly shorter than the boy. Hyuk's head lolled to the side as Leo carried him to his room.

Hyuk's bed was much warmer than the kitchen floor, and he burrowed into the blankets when Leo set him down.

The older boy frowned. "Hyuk, I'm going to run a hot bath for you. You're freezing."

Hyuk didn't respond, and Leo disappeared off into the bathroom. How had Hyuk ever suspected Leo of being a bad person? He was the kindest boy Hyuk knew, aside from N...

"Go bathe and get into some comfortable clothes," Leo ordered a few minutes later. "I'll make you something to eat that's tastier than take-out."

"Impossible," Hyuk said with a weak smile, and Leo hugged him tightly.

"Please be okay," the older boy begged.

Hyuk considered his request. "We'll see."

Only time would tell.

The bath was nice, and when Hyuk emerged the apartment smelled like home-cooked food. His heart was still cold, even if his limbs were less numb. Soomin...

An idea occurred to Hyuk. He was going to pretend that she was fine. Just for this evening. Just for the meal Leo made. He would pretend that Soomin was alive and in love with him and working on her homework. Then he would be able to breathe again, be able to think without drowning in pain.

"How are you?" Leo asked, his eyes concerned.

"Good," Hyuk answered. He wondered if Leo could tell what he was doing. She's fine. She's alive.

Leo frowned again, but nodded and handed Hyuk a plate. "Let's binge watch dramas until three a.m.," he suggested.

"Please! Don't you have work, though?" Hyuk looked at Leo curiously.

Leo's frown deepened. "Hyuk, what's gotten into you? It's like you just moved on in two seconds, and-"

Hyuk slammed the palm of his empty hand down onto the counter. "Don't you dare say that. I didn't move on, and I can't move on, and I won't, okay? Just- just stop. Be happy that I'm fine for now."

"Okay," Leo answered, his tone measured. "And no, I got the day off of work tomorrow."

"Oh. Okay. Do you want to start watching dramas as we eat?"

"And waste my cooking?" Leo teased, making Hyuk chuckle. "Fine." 

***