His body burned with pain. Ravi had barely managed to drag himself to the kitchen for a glass of water in the morning. He'd seen Leo standing on the street, staring at the house with hungry eyes. It hurt to have the reminder that Yeon's attention was divided, but it hurt less than normal.

He was confused, to say the least.

Hongbin had come by as well. Ravi had heard the pleasant voices from upstairs. He missed Yeon's smile, and he wished he had the strength to leave the basement to see it. But she wouldn't let him see Hongbin, anyway. There were rules, and he was hers.

What were the rules meant to be like?

It scared him – he doubted Yeon for the first time. Sure, he'd been uncertain earlier in their relationship, but she'd been there every step of the way to tell him that it was right, that it was how it was supposed to be. But somehow he couldn't picture someone like Leo or Hongbin letting her... well...

This time he had asked her to stop.

Normally she kept him silent, belting him across the mouth if he tried to speak, but this time she'd been focused on the words she was carving into his skin – "property of Yeon" – and he had a chance.

Normally he let it slide, knowing it would just anger her, but this time he asked. He needed to know.

"Can you please stop? I don't like it."

The stinging pain in his arm stopped, and she looked up at him. "It's been three months, Wonshik. Can't I show you how much I love you? Aren't you grateful I came back to you at all? Why would you reject the ways I express love? You ungrateful dog, Wonshik. I spend all this time proving that I care and you 'don't like it.'"

Even the memory made Ravi's eyes fill with tears.

He was crying because she hadn't just ripped his heart apart with ultimate precision and a barrage of cruel words, using her love as a weapon, she'd also unleashed hell. To let her love him, he couldn't defend himself. Instead, Ravi just cowered as her leather belt flew.

Her movements got wilder, as if she couldn't hurt him badly enough to make up for what he had said. Then she pulled the knife out again, and went back to work making sure he was forever claimed as hers by the dreadful scars she left all over his body.

Was that really love? Alone in the house, Ravi doubted. He shouldn't feel that way. His uncomfortableness was proof that he had betrayed her, that she was right to hurt him. He hurt so badly...

Ravi wanted to talk to someone, but he didn't have friends.

He wasn't allowed to have friends. There was only Yeon. Except... he'd gone to college once, just for a year before he met Yeon, and he'd made friends with an older student there.

It wasn't betraying Yeon if he just wanted to ask a few questions, right? If he just wanted to know if everyone's relationships looked like his? If he just wanted to see what an old friend thought?

Ravi looked up at the basement stairs. It would be a lot of effort, but he could go get his phone and bring it back down... yes, he would do it. He would make the call. 

***

Leo wasn't smiling, but inside his heart was flying with joy. As he wandered through the city with Yeon he was given thousands of tiny moments to admire her. It was everything he could have asked for. Mostly.

"I missed you," he said as they stood on a bridge, staring at the river.

Yeon hummed noncommittally, and his heart broke a little.