[13] Vermilion Tears

"That was quite the adventure..."

On a train back to the main city, where an airport was nearby, sat five individuals - you, Kurapika, Leorio, Gon, and Killua. After rescuing Killua from the mansion, you all had decided it would be best to leave the Republic of Padokea, just in case Killua's family changed their minds about letting Killua leave. With Gon on a tourist visa, refusing to use his hunter's license, it was best to go back to your original continent to finish accomplishing your goals.

"Hisoka has information regarding the Spider," Kurapika brought up, causing you all to tense. Especially you, if what Hisoka had said was true. "He'll be in York New City on September 1st."

September 1st...

"That's during the auction," you said. "September 1st through 10th."

Gon tilted his head, confused, and Kurapika opted to explain. "Every year, the world's biggest auction is held in York New City to exchange valuable and priceless artifacts for money. It's an opportunity the Phantom Troupe wouldn't pass up."

You hadn't thought about it before, but with one part of your goal out of the way, the mystery of your past somewhat solved, it only made sense to start your next goal - searching out the Phantom Troupe. Subconsciously, you had clutched your amulet. You intended to give it back to its former owner in only one way - a fight to the death. He specifically had killed your family, and you were determined to take him down.

Black, squinted eyes. A foreign accent. A skull bandana.

Even with scarce memories, you would never forget that man's appearance.

"So Hisoka will be in York New City..." Gon trailed off, nudging you out of your thoughts as the train came to a stop. You all unboarded, coming to a stop once the five of you were off to the side of the main road.

"This is where I'll be leaving," Kurapika stated suddenly, and you cast him a quizzical look. "We managed to see Killua again, which is what I came here for. Since I'll need money for the auction, I'm going to search for a patron to hire me as a hunter." Assuming that you would be sticking with Kurapika, you nodded, a soft and serene smile on your face.

"I see." Leorio sighed, smiling wistfully. "I guess I'll head back home, then. I haven't given up my dream of becoming a doctor. If I'm accepted to medical school, I can use my license to pay for the ridiculous fee. I need to head back and start cramming."

"Oh, good luck!" Gon said quickly, and you repeated his words genuinely to Leorio. The five of you all exchanged looks, realizing this was where you all would part ways. Gon and Killua, you and Kurapika, and Leorio.

"Until we meet again," Leorio said, as you all exchanged information before repeating the date.

"September 1st, York New City!"

Exchanging hugs and last goodbyes, Leorio was first to leave, his airship leaving first, and then Killua and Gon headed out, leaving just you and Kurapika.

"So, where to next?" you asked, falling in stride with Kurapika. He came to a stop, his face troubled. "Kurapika?"

". . . You're not coming with me."

Your face dropped immediately, eyebrows furrowing. You had a few different questions, but couldn't quite articulate your feelings, only asking, "What?" ineloquently.

He turned to face you, expression grim and serious, a contrast to his earlier levity. "I'm not dragging you along on my quest for vengeance."

You felt annoyance bubble up within your chest. "What do you mean? This isn't just about you - unless you've forgotten, the Phantom Troupe killed my family, too." Your voice was heated, but when you spoke up next, it got quiet. "Besides... We're both from the Kurta clan, so we have to stick together, right?"