Demons

Sleep. I just need to sleep. Maybe when I wake up this won’t hurt so bad. I won’t hurt so bad.

I hurt worse. Forget the swordfish and the Sahara desert, my throat feels like it’s on fire; like there are still flames licking up from my gut into my throat. I inch my hand towards the stand where my water is, and Rach quickly places the straw at the opening to my mouth.

“It’s still sore,” I croak when I’m finished. I open my eyes to her small smile and I’m so thankful. My parents still haven’t been here, as far as I know. “How long have I been out?”

Rach checks her Cartier. She squints while she does the math and I have the urge to smile, even though I feel like I physically can’t quite yet.

“About sixteen hours, give or take. Danny came by,” she says, “He told me to call when you were up again. He’s going to try to stop by after his shift, if he can sneak past the nurses.” Technically, Rach isn’t even allowed to be in here, nor was Everett. It’s supposed to be immediate family only, but I think the nurses took pity on me when my parents told them they’d visit me when they were finished cruising the Caribbean, or whatever tropical destination they’re currently at.

Rach stepped out, theoretically to call Danny, and I closed my eyes again. I imagined a world where my parents would be at my bedside the instant they heard the news. I pictured my dad’s furrowed brow and my mom’s lips pursed with concern. In my dream they each sit by my bed, holding one of my hands. But then the vision changes to my mother on a beach in a bikini, showing off the goods Dr. Gianni gave her, sipping a piña colada. My father sits in the computer lab inside the boat, doing business even when he should be out getting a tan. My parents are both lawyers, but my mom values her time in the sunshine much more than my father. That’s the reality I live in. My parents would rather be stuck in the middle of the ocean than come see their only daughter after she almost died. They easily have the resources to order a helicopter to come pick them up and deliver them here, but I’m not worth the trouble.

When I open my eyes again, I see Rachel…and Everett. She looks at him sideways, crossing her arms. This is the second day in a row that he’s shown up. He must come before or after his shifts or something. I don’t know how any of that stuff works: I’ve never had a job. She gives him a dirty look and begins to gather her things. I panic.

“You’re leaving?” I croak. Everett smiles sheepishly while Rachel explains. She tosses her purse over her shoulder and pulls her platinum blonde hair from underneath the strap.

“Everett here is going to keep you company until Danny can come by after work. I have some…business to attend to.” I can tell by the way she says business that she got her period. That’s been our code word since Rach’s first scare in eighth grade.

“If that’s okay,” Everett adds quickly, holding up his hands in mock surrender. Again, if I could laugh, I would. “I don’t have to stay if you don’t want me to.” My heart rate spikes in protest, and my cheeks flame when Rach and Everett hear the increase. I can practically feel the nurse’s eyes on me through the window to my room, always watching from the computer in front of her that displays a live stream of my vitals.

“That’s fine.” I say. I take a deep breath and try to suppress the rattling cough that wants to escape. Rach hands me my water without a word. When I’m done, she puts it back on the tray and fidgets with her keys in her hands.

“Right, well, I’m going to go. I’ll be back in a little while. I’ll see you soon.” She says. I wave with one hand and watch her let herself out. Everett clears his throat and immediately my attention is drawn to the curve of his lips, the subtle crow’s feet around his eyes, and the way his unruly hair sticks up in the front.