Chapter One

Cybill Shepherd as Veronica Foreman

***

Crystal snow fell from the clouds above and blanketed the ground below, hiding all signs of foliage that had grown the spring before. It's crisp and cold and turns my nose a bright red and I can't help but smile at the frozen scape before me. I often bundle up during the winter months and sit outside on the back porch for hours until I can no longer feel my toes. My mother, Kitty Foreman, will come outside and hand me a fresh cup of hot cocoa right before dinner time to warm me up before I step back inside.

I don't quite understand why I have a fixation for the snow. My birthday rests around the summer months, so I should be obsessed with all things heat. But alas, here I sat, frozen in the December Wisconsin air and I couldn't have felt more alive than I do this very moment.

"How do you do this every year?" Eric, my older brother, said with a strong shiver. He's always been scrawny, with no meat on his fragile bones. He's pale in complexion and, unfortunately, opposite of what dad ever wanted. I'm similar in stature, but I suppose I've learned to live with it while Eric remains with it as his weakness.

"The air is refreshing. It's nice to bundle up rather than strip down into nothing whenever it's hot. It's easier to warm up than to cool down, at least in my opinion."

"Complete opposite of Laurie," He murmured with pleasure, more to himself than to me, as he took a seat next to me and passed me a new cup of hot cocoa. "I made this cup, so it might not taste as good as mom's but you can't say I never tried for you."

I smiled, taking the cup in my frozen fingers, and brought the liquid to my lips, the heat thawing my body instantaneously. "It's fantastic, thank you."

"When do you think we're going to leave point place? Go explore somewhere new? Meet new people, experience new things?"

This was a question that arises from my brother quite often, and I always have the same answer, "When I have a reason to."

Unlike Eric, I've never found pleasure in the idea of leaving Point Place. He wanted something new, something fun, something away from our family. I don't blame him, dad is quite the stick in the ass, or should I say, foot in the ass. Especially for him. All our years Red has been nothing but awful to Eric to "toughen him up" and to "make him a man." Laurie is the angel that could do no wrong despite how devilish she truly is. I could probably be the same as Laurie, daddy's little princess, but I side with Eric one too often and it has cost me many brownie points with Red.

Even still, I don't mind Point Place. For the most part, it's quiet. There isn't the hustle of the city or an overwhelming amount of crime. It's pretty peaceful, which I can't complain about. And, without admitting it to Eric, I've fallen in love in Point Place. That's a feeling, over all the others, that I can't bring myself to let go of.