Fortune Cookie

Alarm ringing

Alarm ringing. Alarm ringing again. Alarm ringing yet another time. A hand from under the covers swats the clock hard so it falls on the door. Then it retreats back into the deep folds of the blanket. After ten or so minutes, the blanket flies in an arc to the floor and a stark naked woman bolts up from the bed.

"AAAa for fuck's sake I did it again! What is wrong with me!" she yells as she jumps out of the bed, her shoulder-length blonde hair sticking in every direction imaginable and then some. She runs to the bathroom and brushes her teeth, while trying to also brush her hair at the same time. This does not work exactly like she envisioned. She looks to be around 20, give or take a couple of years - but clearly not a high-schooler anymore. She's shorter than average, but has a nicely shaped body. There's a small simple tattoo of a star between her boobs.

She somehow manages to get everything brushed and washed and bolts back into the bedroom to dress up, then she's out the door in about ten minutes flat with a piece of bread hanging from her mouth and she's still trying to get a jacket on. She runs and barely manages to get on the bus. She's breathing heavily after she sits down and settles for the ride. There's an old lady sitting next to her.

"Young people nowadays, don't you use an alarm clock? You wouldn't need to run if you'd have one, dearie." she says and smiles at the younger woman. "Asano Hoshi..? That's your name? It sounds foreign."

"Hmh? Oh, my name tag. Yes, that's my name, I'm Japanese, if you didn't figure it out. I also have an alarm clock, but I'm very bad at waking up to it." Hoshi says.

"Oh dear." the older lady says. They both fall silent for awhile as the bus drives through the town. After a while, Hoshi sits up and starts to watch out the windows.

"Nearing your stop, Asano?" the older lady asks.

"Yeah.. I work at the new building just out of town." Hoshi says while looking for landmarks so she knows where to get off. "I just started there so I'm not really sure where to get off the bus."

"Oh, I can show you. I used to work in the old factory that was there before the new building. It's just after a few from here. Listen, dearie. I'm feeling good to day, so here, have this." she says and hands her a small square packet with a ribbon.

"Hmh? No, I can't take gifts from you! I don't even know you at all!" Hoshi says and tries to decline.

"Just take it, it's just a snack from the market place, nothing fancy. But you looked like you needed it." the lady says and smiles at her.

Hoshi accepts the package, thanks the lady and stands up. The bus comes to a stop, and Hoshi waves goodbye to the old lady and walks out of the bus. She looks at the large, almost-all-glass building next to her. It's her new workplace and this is her third day here. She works as an assistant to a boss she has yet to see. She only knows her by her title and name, "Director Miki". She enters the building and goes to the top floor. The all-glass elevators are fancy, if not just a tiny bit scary too and Hoshi wishes they'd at least make the floor out of something that's not transparent. She decides to open the package while waiting for the elevator to go all the way up - it's not fast and the building is very tall.