6 | missing

"Where does seeking justice end and seeking vengeance begin?"

— Paula Stokes

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

6 | missing

The following Tuesday, half a dozen shiny cars swerved into Olive Gardens' parking lot. It wasn't until the women hugged each other and settled down in their accustomed booth that it was noticed the group was one person short.

"Where's Este?" Taylor queried, catching her friends' gazes. "She never misses dinner night."

The women regarded each other, expecting an answer to lay with someone. But no one had any.

"Wait. Lemme ring her and check if she's sitting this one out," Martha assured while fishing for her cell phone. "I wonder how the situation with her husband's unfolding."

"Did any one of you talk to her this week?" Lily questioned, hope simmering in her heart.

"I did," Taylor answered, "Three days ago. I wanted to check in on her, and she seemed fine. Though, she was a bit anxious. She didn't know how to initiate her confrontation with Carson. I gave her a few ideas."

Martha had dialed Este's number then but her phone was unreachable. She dialed again.

"Such as?" Lily asked Taylor.

"Well, to be calm and not lose your shit. Try to have a sophisticated conversation at first." Taylor gave a sheepish smile and added, "And then rip him apart once he confesses."

"Nope," Martha chimed in, looking gravely at the cell phone. "Not reachable."

Alana, who was unusually quiet, muttered something so slowly that her sister asked her to repeat.

"She wasn't there at the store today. Or yesterday. I didn't think anything of it. It's not rare for her to take leaves when she knows I'll be there. But what if something happened? It's been three days since any one of us heard from her." Her face was gradually losing colour, and she took a hesitant sip from her glass of water.

"Okay, hey. Let's not get too far ahead. Maybe she's just out of town; explains the phone signal." Gigi looked at Alana's pale face. "You guys sometimes pick up stock right?"

"Yeah, but there isn't any scheduled for this month." Alana shook her head, "And she always informs me before going."

A cloud of dread settled over the table. No one dared to voice their screaming thoughts for what seemed like the longest time. They didn't need to. It was quite readable on their haunted expressions. What if something happened? What if Carson did something to her?

Just then, a chirpy waiter arrived to note their orders, blissfully oblivious of the frightful situation the women were currently in.

"What would the ladies like to have this week? We have everything on the menu. Hot, fresh and ready!" He greeted his favourite customers with a cheerful smile.

Six pairs of eyes looked at each other, unsaid words hanging darkly between them. The waiter however, was unaware that the ladies' desire for today's dish would be best served cold. And they all wanted the same thing.

Revenge.