True Me

WHEN THE USE OF A THING is not known, abuse is inevitable, they say. Until you put an end to a ceaseless loop of events, they will put you under subjection. If you sit down and watch things happen, you'll only get left at the back of the line.

Lies. The best way to feel accepted into the crowd. Creating the margins, the divides between that are not meant to be there anyway. It seems like everybody within this four walls have forgotten a few concepts from the society like equity, service, honesty. Yeah, stuffs like that.

"You filthy animal, that's the reason your mother left you. You brought it upon yourself." Won't be the first time I've heard that.

"You rat! You'll never be as perfect as I am. You and your poor father can eat shit." That used to he hurtful.

"You fat ugly thing, never cross my path again or this is just the beginning of your death in my hands." I never even crossed her path in the first place.

After the therapy, I had gone to again and again and completely stayed away from school for some days to consciously work on my mentality. To make sure that my mind has become conformed to the real me.

The true me.

I loved the sound of that. with the help of Valerie, that's Mrs. Steinfield, I had been adapted to that and I couldn't get enough of this new mentality. I was exhausted and tired of all Cassie's antics. All of the jocks antics.

Cassie Thompson. She hates me because I was the best and brightest in middle school. The eyes of the school were on me. The spotlight was never my deal but that was what Cassie wanted to bask in. On the summer break before high school, there was a turn. She became plastic, Nathan broke up with me for reasons I don't know off but he seemed pretty mad. Selena, my then best friend who is now part of the minion squad, also abandoned me and my father got fired from working for her dad.

That's the story. I know everything about Cassie. She's not perfect. No. Her father gets his money from other illegitimate and illegal sources. He's not entirely called a billionaire from the company. Cassie also has a severe case of anorexia but that's a secret only she, my dad, her dad, her doctor and I know about. I'm not she she even knows I know about it.

It's true what they say. Bullies are just trying to make themselves feel better by making others feel worse about themselves.

"Look at his hideous you look in jeans and a crop top," I heard her voice say behind me and for the first time, I wasn't intimidated. I didn't freeze.

Yes, you heard her.

My style was turned up a little. I was feeling really good about myself for once. I was not abandoning my usual attire. This was just a little adjustment.

"Hey, Cassie," I greeted with a smile in my face. That wasn't well appreciated though because she looked surprised.

"Need help wiping that hideous smile of your face? I'd be happy to." The hallway was quiet waiting for my response.

A response they'll get. "I think I've had enough of your nasty character for a lifetime, don't you think so?" I asked with my hands still on my locker door.

"I bet everyone else is too. Apart from the jocks, I mean." – seriously, those guys would always carry their shoulders high 'above' the others.

She wanted to slap me but I caught her hand in mine and trust me, I too was surprised at myself.

Who knew I had it in me?

"Face it. Face the truth and leave the superficial behind for once. Your not better than me. You're definitely not better than anyone else here," I gestured to the students watching. "You're just trying to make your life look better than others. Trust me when I say this, I know very much well that your not as perfect as your say you are but telling the entire school that will just make me like you and I don't want that." I paused for the words to sink in to her.

"I've had enough of you ruining my life and if this people are too scared to talk for themselves then I'd happily launch that. You can have Nathan and Selena. Their yours for the keeps but it's over." I ended and Cassie swallowed as her eyes darted to the gathering crowd.

Cheers erupted from the crowd and my eyes caught unto Melissa who was smiling widely at me. She was also part of me finding myself and my voice. Finding the true me and for that I was grateful to her.

Until you defend yourself, stand up and cheer to your beliefs, no one else will. You could be the voice to strengthen others who are scared to speak up. You could be your own voice. It takes a person to initiate a change. It took me four years of endless verbal, physical and emotional torture to understand that but now, the storm had ceased. And I had a feeling the calm would remain.

It was all over.

------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE: It's over. It's done and dusted. I hope False Prophets has touched someone's life out there and I hope it gets to the right audience.

You don't have to follow the course of the book. You can always help someone going though this. You don't know how far words like 'you're not alone' go in the lives of victims. Don't stand and watch things happen to anyone.

Thank you for tapping that read button at the beginning of the book. Thank you for reading, for voting, for commenting and for the support. It's highly appreciated. You're loved!

With much much love,

Jess x.