Prologue

I wearily look down, squinting slightly from the bright lights as I fiddle with my fingers. Today is the day. The day many fear and some try to avoid even. Some welcome it. Some grieve... I don't think I'm ready. Then again, is anyone ever ready?

I'm basically starting a new. My life will be nothing except the one memory I chose to keep. One drop of water in an ocean of faded tears.

All memories of my friends and family will be nothing but a vague dream. They will mean nothing to me any more. They won't exists.

All my adventures as a child will have vanished before the blink of an eye.

All the things that made me who I am will be gone and out of grasp.

Everything.

I'm being given a clean slate. All my sins will be forgotten, stored away where I won't have to worry about them ever again. All the struggles that almost made me break. Gone. I'll be off to a different home along with many others I'm sure. We're all going to be strangers in a new world.

Up till the day of our 18th birthday, we were told to be cautious about what memory we chose to keep. For when we forget all but that one glimpse of our past, we might want to find a person or place that was in the memory we kept.

Maybe it's risky to keep this memory. Maybe it's stupid to keep a memory of a boy I've met only once. I'm positive he has forgotten me already.

Why I chose to keep this one stupid memory... I don't know. He made me feel alive. He was special... Even if I regret what we did...

He showed me to not give a damn what anyone thinks. He showed me how my overprotective family was keeping me from making my own choices. They made me a single brown leaf hidden behind the others autumn glow. But he made me feel like a giant autumn tree.

It's time...

"Harold Edward Styles. Age 18. Birthday February 1st. What is the memory you wish to keep?" A women in milky white clothes asks me as she takes out a large needle that's as silver as my mothers old wedding ring.

As she hovers the daring needle above my pale skin, the tip of it ready to plunge into my vain, I take a in a shaky breathe.

And I tell her.

+

Wow, I'm actually really excited for this fanfic. I wanted to wait to post it until I completed all the other fanfics in working on currently, but I'm impatient and just couldn't wait so here y'all go! <3

Please don't steal this is my original idea/story that one of my friends inspired me to write (: I'm working extremely hard on it!

Also, this may be triggering for some as the book goes on so pls be wary of that ):