20

The Kiss, Francesco Hayez, 1859

"He looks at you like Fred looked at Maeve"

"He looks at her like Fred looked at Maeve"

She's overheard that sentence quite a bit, either from Georges friends and his family or just people who had know the couple before they died. She had overheard that sentence a bit few too many times at this party, for her liking tonight.

After the bathroom, the party went on without anymore drama. Olive wasn't punching people anymore. She was trying to enjoy her night with him, but those sentences. Those words were stuck in her head. Was he with her because she reminded him of them. Did he love her, like he says he does or does he love the idea of her.

"I think I'm gonna head home.." She whispered to him, mid dance. Georges face dropped.

"I'll bring you home.."

"No its fine, I.. You have friends here still, be with them." She began to walk off.

Before she could get away, he was already in step with her holding her and his coat.

"I'm bringing you home." He said seriously. "You say you can control your emotions but your hair says something else."

She didn't say anything, she just grabbed his hand and they went back to her apartment.

"I can make us some food."

"I'm fine.." She began to pace her living room.

"Livie.." He begged, "Let me cook you something." She sighed loudly, "maybe some-"

"I do not want anything to eat!" She shouted

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong!?" He asked

"You do realize I am not Maeve or Fred right?" She stopped pacing and stared at him

"What?" His heart stopped.

"I can't give you what they had. I don't know what they had, only through stories... I am not them."

"I know that.." He straightened his shoulders a bit, "where is this coming from.."

"'He looks at her like Fred looked at Maeve.'" She repeated the words that were floating in her head all night. Tears welled up in her eyes.

So she hears the same thing too..

"I am not Maeve and.." She paused, "You are not Fred."

"I know that." He bit the inside of his mouth, "I know that.." He choked a bit when he saw tear brimming her eyes. He had yet to see her cry. That was the one emotion he didn't think she had. He also hated the thought of her crying, and here she was, on the brink.

"I have spent these past few months with you ignoring those words, trying to not hear that sentence said to me or said behind my back.. I want to be with you, George, but I'm afraid that you are only with me because it's easy and it reminds you of them."

"Don't say that.." He said, "Don't think that."

"I came into your life at a dark time for you.." She began, he knew where this was going and it wasn't true, "I began giving your closure, ending up trapping you into this relationship.."