It's a New Day!

I can't remember the last time I've had a day off. It probably hasn't happened since I started college. A normal day for me consists of waking at five o'clock, taking a quick shower, eating breakfast on the go and rushing to Sugar Rush. Our café opened at seven each morning but I always took care of the morning duties allowing Emily time to sleep in and close out the day. I rarely stayed up late at night so I really don't have much of a social life outside of the bakery and Paige.

This morning, however, I wake at 8 o'clock. I reach for Paige's letter resting atop of my nightstand and hastily flip to the second page.

2. Spa Treatment!

It's a new day! Are you excited? Don't worry about fixing your hair or putting on any makeup this morning. Just get up, dressed, and head downtown. I have arranged for you to go to Serenity Day Spa on West End for a luxurious massage, nail and hair appointment on me! Sheila is expecting you so you allow her the privilege to pamper you today. You're going to look like a million bucks afterward, I promise! When you're finished with your appointment, Sheila will give you an envelope and you'll know what to do next. Don't dilly-dally! We have a lot of stuff to accomplish today!

I stare, baffled, at Paige's letter. When did she arrange this and how was she able to pull any of this off? She knows the very last thing I would ever spend money on is a spa day for myself. Paige took every opportunity to pamper herself. She had manicures every other week, went to get a full body massage once a month. She loved this kind of stuff but it's never appealed to me.

As I pick out clothes for the day, I decide on my favorite pair of jeans Paige helped me buy for my birthday last year. I figured since Paige orchestrated this adventurous day for me, this would be a fitting choice for my attire. She took me to Imogene + Willie where they spent the good portion of an hour fitting me for a custom pair of jeans. Paige insisted they were worth the investment and she was right. Whenever I wore these jeans I felt sexy and confident because I knew they were made just for me. I decided to pair my jeans with a gauzy champagne blouse and ruby red ballerina flats. This day spa is extremely fancy, so I don't want to show up looking like a slouch.

When I arrive I ask for Gloria and the young receptionist instructs me to sit in their lounge while I wait. The young raven-haired woman brings me a mimosa and I sip on the bubbly cocktail for only five minutes before Gloria appears in the doorway.

"Good morning, Natalie! My name is Gloria and I'll be pampering you today."

Gloria is a small yet curvy woman with salt and pepper hair. Her smile is wide and makes me feel at ease. I stand to shake her hand and she quickly leads me to a dimly lit room with a massage table placed sideways in the middle of the room.

"We have a few things planned for this morning, first I would like to do your full body massage and facial. Are there any areas of your back that are sensitive or pain points you'd like me to take care of?"

The thought of this virtual stranger giving me a full body massage sent my heart rate into overdrive. This entire experience is new to me and I don't know how to process it all.

"Um," I chew on my bottom lip as I consider her question. "I crouch over a lot in my line of work and sometimes my lower back and neck will hurt."

Gloria removes a bathrobe and a big, fluffy white towel from an armoire and lays them across the massage table. "Good to know," she nods. "I will use caution in those areas if I feel like you resist the message. I'll keep it light, but if you feel discomfort at any time don't hesitate to let me know."

"Alright," I feel unsteady. I really don't want this woman to put me in any kind of pain today.

"So just undress and put on this bathrobe. I'll come back in a few minutes and we'll get started."

Gloria glides out of the room and I nervously undress and hang my clothes and place my purse inside the armoire. Not knowing what to do, I perch atop the massage table and fiddle with my fingers until Gloria returns.

The massage feels amazing. Gloria's magical fingers work over muscles I didn't even know I had and by then end of the hour I feel completely boneless in her very capable hands. After the facial she takes me into another room where an esthetician offers to wax my eyebrows, legs and any other unmentionable areas I desire. I feel morbidly curious about the whole waxing situation so I decide to go for it thinking it would make Paige proud. Turns out, getting waxed wasn't as painful as I imagined it to be.

Lastly, Gloria trims and styles my hair while another esthetician gives me a manicure and pedicure. I opt for a simple pale pink for both my fingers and toes and marvel at how shimmery and pretty it looks.

By the end of my appointment, I look and feel like a new woman and can't believe my eyes when I see my reflection in the mirror. Gloria is a talented woman. She chose makeup that looks fresh compliments my skin tone. I feel rejuvenated and relaxed. As I dress, I silently thank Paige for such an extravagant start to the day. I know ulterior motives were at play as Paige planned this spa treatment. She more than likely expected I would fall in love with it and would have to keep coming back regularly to see Gloria.

I hug Gloria as I make my way back to the lobby and before I can leave she hands me another small, black envelope the size of a gift card.

"Your friend Paige loved you very much," Gloria's voice cracks a little and she pats my hand as she turns to leave.

Exiting the spa, I made it inside my car before I opened the next gift from Paige.