1

Paired with eyes flashing with malice and a wicked grin, Virgil was absolutely terrifying as he walked into the holding cell where I sat against the wall, chained to the stone floor. I tried to force a stoic, neutral expression over my face, or what Virgil could see of my face. A threaded half-mask fit snugly around my eyes, hiding my true identity. 

Virgil crouched down in front of me, too close for comfort. "You know, I never imagined how I would feel once I finally caught you." He chuckled darkly. "But now that I have you right before me, I'm completely unsatisfied."

I tried to growl, but it came out raspy and not the least bit intimidating. "And why is that?"
Like a whip, Virgil's hand snapped out and grabbed a fistful of my hair, pulling me close. It took all of my willpower to not cower under his piercing stare.

A slender finger slid underneath my mask. I froze, limbs locking up tight. I fumbled over my words for something to say, something to do before Virgil could take it off-
"I want to know what you look like," he drawled. "I want to know who is constantly foiling all of my plans, constantly stopping me from doing what I want, constantly in my way." His smile sharpened. "Don't you think I deserve to know after all this trouble I went through to catch you?" He tugged teasingly against the fabric.

I attempted to jerk away, but his grasp around my hair tightened and I winced. "Don't," I managed to choke out. "Don't. Virgil, please."
If Virgil knew who I was-
"Begging already?" Virgil laughed viciously. "This must be good then."

Then he straight up yanked the mask right off of me, no warning.
I gasped, heart sinking as I stared up at Virgil with wide, panicked eyes.
Nonononono.
Virgil's face flashed with shock that quickly melted into cruel delight. "Oh. Oh." He studied my face for a moment more, lips pulling up into a grin, teeth flashing. "I know who you are."

I felt like I was going to vomit.
"The young prince Roman, in my custody," he purred. "What a wonderful day this is turning out to be." He leaned in close enough for a frightened, dismayed hero like me to feel his breath on my lips. His eyes smouldering with an intensity.

"Now what to do with someone like you?"

Bluebadger19