Two/ Fritz

I was alone.
No, I couldn't think like that- I was free.
I had one box in my arms and a green canvas bag over my shoulder, it wasn't much, but nothing back there was me anyhow.
I was starting over and it felt....good?
When we were younger Hopi had advised me to collect money whenever I could and one day we'd go somewhere together but that's when I was brave. I wanted to leave, don't get me wrong, but I was scared of leaving everything I knew for something that I didn't but maybe now that I'd taken the first step... maybe I could leave.

I took the bus every day since I was 12. It was inexpensive and something about it made me feel like a 'real' person, y'know?  I hadn't gone too far yet but I enjoyed my little excursions, especially since I never entirely knew where I'd end up. So I stood, box in hand, bag on my shoulder, ready for the next big adventure. The bench was cold and wet from last night's storm, at least I was told by the woman next to me that there had been a storm last night. It was a shame I had missed it, I loved a good storm. Soon the blue bus came by and the doors fluttered open clumsily. My ticket out I told myself, this was me, being me. I could get out now, I could go anywhere. The bus driver was a fat old man with kind eyes, the type of eyes that maintained their youth no matter how old you got. His name was George and I'd know him since I began taking my adventurous excursions around town. He was dating a woman named Rosie, he hung pictures of her from the little mirror in the bus, she was plump with red hair and bangs that perfectly framed her light brown eyes. I'd never seen eyes that colour. They seemed to be very much in love, George's last stop was always flowers for Rosie. George wore a little blue cap, his rosy cheeks beamed at me.
"Ah January James, where are you off to today?"

I took a deep breath and stepped onto the bus, it was unusually empty today
"Anywhere George. Take me anywhere"
I took a seat in the front and attempted to call Hopi. The phone ring for several moments as I waited,

"hello? Hello?" Hopi's voice taunted over the phone.

I exhaled, smiling
"Hey! I-"

"Haha, gotcha didn't I? This is Hopi James and his voicemail. Anyway I'm probably doing drugs or something, catch me later" something inside my chest was unsettled by this even though I knew it was a joke. I don't know... I guess I worried about him.

I waited as more people loaded onto the bus, I liked to study them, I always wondered what their stories were. Were they going to see their newborn niece for the first time? To visit their love? To buy a ring? Were they running away from home like Hopi or I?
I took a deep shuddering breath and tried to call Hopi once more. It had been three times, he always picked up. Always.

In the midst of the middle aged people, most likely on their way to work, there he was. When they fall in love in movies, there's always that one slow motion scene that feels so cheesy right? But I swear I had that moment, because as soon as he came through those doors, time was still. His silver hair bounced in effortless waves as he handed George his ticket, George murmered something to him. A greeting, perhaps a name, but I missed it. The boy tilted his head, looking me up and down as he walked. He gave a crooked smile and I swear I saw the stars shine through his blue eyes. To my absolute astonishment, he sat behind me, his arms folded atop the seat. The doors closed and I felt my heart pounding against my ribs. I moved my dark blonde hair out from behind my ears, creating a barrier, a blanket between my red face and his wonderfully cream coloured one.

His face was right beside mine now, he held an amused grin
"Name?"

I turned to him
"P-pardon?"

"Name? What's your name?"
Why was it so hard to breathe?
He raised his eyebrows waiting an answer
"Well, alright, I'll go first if you'd prefer. My name is Fritz" he pointed a thumb to himself.