Chapter 2.2

Part 2

72 hours, 4 320 minutes, 259 200 seconds have passed since my dad's birthday party. I am back to my busy schedule which consists of a morning workout, morning classes, my internship at the Gray & Co. Architecture firm, a late evening run and a rerun of Shameless with Bailey. Sofia and Jake have been visiting in the mornings, so we have been carpooling to school together.  All in all, I've been having a very boring week so far.

Deciding to ditch the evening run, I rummage through my cupboards looking for ingredients to make my famous cheesy stuffed chicken breasts. I take out the cream cheese looking at the expiration date, I roll my eyes as it reads that it expired two weeks ago. Checking my other ingredients I decide on going grocery shopping. Bailey wags her tail looking up at me. "Let's go." I pick her up and head towards the door. I take my mask, wallet and my car keys and head out. Walking towards the elevator it pings as someone steps out.

A fair skinned woman steps out wearing short biker shorts, a sweater and Jordan 4's. Exactly what I am wearing. Struggling with the boxes in her hands I walk up to her. "Need help?" I politely ask. She beams at me and looks at my outfit.

"Uhm, yes please, twin from another family." She laughs letting me help her with the boxes. "I'm Hannah, by the way." She smiles leading me to the apartment three doors from mine.

I smile at her. "Emma." She pauses, her smile faltering. She blinks at me then forces a fake smile on her face. She looks down at Bailey and cooes at her. Walking into the apartment, it looks exactly like mine except for the fact that it has no furniture inside.

"My cousin is moving in and I'm helping him." Hannah explains, setting the boxes labeled "kitchen",  in the kitchen area. I nod at her putting the box I had in my hands next to the ones she had. "Well, thank you." She smiles at me leading the way towards the door.

"It's a pleasure." I chuckle taking Bailey in my arms. We both head towards the elevator as it pings revealing a man holding up boxes covering him up to his face.

"Are you mad ?" Hannah shrieks taking the box covering the mans face.

My breath hitches.

Haden.

His eyes bulge a little when he spots me.

"How did you even walk this far with the box blocking your view ?" Hannah scolds walking back towards the apartment. She turns around. "Thank you again, Emma." I turn around and give her a nod. She walks back inside the apartment.

"Emerald." Haden breaths.

"Haden." I nod. Moving past him, I enter the elevator. He walks out of the elevator and turns towards me. Bailey barks at him waging her tail. Haden looks down at her in my arms.  I press the basement level button, the elevator doors close on those grey eyes staring back at my hazel ones.

I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I breathe out in relief. Is he following me ? How did he know I live here ? And why does he have to live on my floor? I was the only person on that floor. Even though there are 5 apartments on the top floor, they were all empty except for mine and an older lady that is never at her place.  Now Haden too. Why is he coming to live here ?

The elevator doors open to the basement floor. I walk to my Jeep, strapping Bailey in her "carseat" and drive to the grocery store.

After buying an excessive amount of food, I return to my apartment and thankfully I don't bump into Haden or his cousin, Hannah.

I change into my short silky champagne colored pajama set and fill Bailey's dish with her food, knowing very well she will pass out on the sofa after eating. I turn on my kitchen speaker and bump to the music while I cook.