40. Dinner (Sam)

When my mother and brother walked into the house they were shocked to see dinner ready and two unexpected people sitting at the table. Ally and Adam had been eyeing each other over their wine glasses and I really hoped Ally wouldn't piss him off. "Sam honey, what's this?" I beamed and said, "Mom, Ally came from Utah to stay for a few days, and this is Adam."

Adam cut his handsome face toward my mom and brother with a dazzling smile. Anthony watched him with suspicious eyes. My mother looked shocked to see and a-list celebrity at her dinner table and my old best friend. "Well, this is a surprise. It's good to see you Ally and hello...Adam."

"Hello Ms. Hartman." My boyfriend with perfect manners. Ally raises her glass of wine. My mom puts her purse down on the small side table and takes a seat. "Ally you've met Anthony, Anthony this is Adam." My brother causally shrugs out of his light jacket obviously flexing his muscles and Adam looks tempted to roll his eyes.

Anthony and Adam nod at each other tensely and  I had no doubt that if those two went at it, the whole house would be destroyed. Anthony sits next to Ally  and I begin handing out plates. I sat down next to Adam and across from my brother and best friend. My mother sat at the head and downed her wine a bit quickly. There was a tense awkward silence until I spoke up.

"Mom, Anthony I need to tell you something." Anthony looks up from his plate and my mother pours herself more wine. Adam's jaw tenses as he takes my hand underneath the table and Ally's eyes sparkle as if this was a juicy story. "Adam and I are...." my mother raises her eyebrows, Ally licks her lips, and Anthony's eye twitches. "Dating."

I finish the statement and my mother's eyebrows shoot up to her hairline. Ally smirks and downs her portion of wine and Anthony snorts. Ally shoots him a dirty look and Adam's hand tightens on mine. "Well that's great honey, I suppose. When did this happen?" My mothers voice was high pitched and stunned. I take a bite of lasagna feeling a bit judged.

"About three months ago. We were just waiting for the right time to tell you." My mother puts herself nearly a third glass of wine. Ally dishes up her second plate of lasagna and Anthony angrily stabs his plate. "Well, that's great I suppose. I wish you had told me about your sexuality earlier."

I frown ready to respond but Anthony throws down his fork, stands up and points a finger at my boyfriend. "What the fuck are you using him for huh? Some experimental thing? Do you know how many fucking chicks his been with?" Adam doesn't flinch instead he meets my brothers gaze with intensity.

"I've only dated Ava for three years. You should read the tabloids you know." Anthony slams his hand on the table and I immediately flinch. Adam's gaze becomes dark and deadly protective. Ally bites into her food and my mother holds up her hand. "Not now please."

"Mom, how the fuck does my brother snag him? Huh? He's a celebrity and my brother goes to the fucking school on a scholarship!" Tears begin to fall for no apparent reason and I jump up and run upstairs. Adam already knew. But what my brother was saying made me feel like I wasn't good enough. And that hit to close to home.