11

The dripping blood from his nose didn't restrain him from clutching her hands with a firmer grip

"Five years of my detention has come to an end, and I am back to snatch what should have been mine." Aditya spat out like a venom.

"Your father's mercy saved you from death or else I would've burnt you alive for mollesting her." She freed herself and slapped him tight on his right cheek. "Here, you are again committing another grave mistake of your life. Forcing the queen can cost you your life. I warn you." She sneered back.

"Oh, Your majesty !" He faked a reverent bow. "It's fine you are defending yourself but I warn you too, you'll repay each of your blow." Aditya formed a sinister grin. "These delicate hands of yours are meant for rocking cradles, my dear. Stop misusing them."

"And stop misusing your dumb head Aditya, indeed I will rock cradles with these same hands but not before beheading you." Tara countered him. "The throne was mine and mine alone since the day I was born. Thank your stars that your father, The Great Minister of Mayurmukhi have kept you well." She concluded in a sarcastic tone.

"Oh, yes. He was never my father, did you hear it? Never. All he thought was the throne and rearing you and your half-dead brother. Your existence is a menace for me." He raised his arms in frustration. "I would have never done that to the girl, if you had accepted my proposal. But, see your pride, your ambitions never saw through my heart. And, now for the sake of your throne you are marrying a stranger."

"This is how you explain what you did to that girl?  You, moron! And in case of your father, your hapless brain could never imagine what he was bringing forth in our kingdom for your dumbest sake."

The soft clamour of some approaching anklets broke their dense gazes.

"Don't create a scene, now. I will deal with you later." She drew an authoritative whisper. Aditya knew well than Tara that his new endeavour would do no good for him. He wore his dark veil before hiding himself in a secluded corner of her balcony.

The girls came in with platters of gold and pearl ornaments, plush and embroidered fineries. The gifts of Indrapuri those were, she reminded herself.

The gorgeously decorated pavillion smelt of extravagant fragrances

The gorgeously decorated pavillion smelt of extravagant fragrances. The enormous crowd of both the states as well as representatives of allied kingdoms were too present. Abhimanyu sat opposite to the sacrificial fire as the priest chanted the hymns.

The anticipation in his heart kept churning extensively. Blurring all his senses, the jingling of anklets and bridal bangles heralded Tara's arrival.

Stud in a blush-pink lehenga, the wild brown strands were barely tamed. The dupatta enormously trailed as an obedient slave. She refused to veil her face, the crown still embraced her forehead graciously. Tara neared the fire, meeting his astounded gazes for a while.

As soon as Tara settled herself beside him, she beckoned to Chandana. A word in her ear, she disappeared amongst the crowd.

Meanwhile, green orbs and his black shadow sneaked his way down the Queen's balcony

Meanwhile, green orbs and his black shadow sneaked his way down the Queen's balcony. The guards were too engaged in welcoming the guests and were unaware of his trails.

Chandana hung back in the shadows of the long veiled women. Fate plays an evil ploy with everyone, but rarely they get a chance to repay it.

The man she was waiting for was back. The man she had once loved only to be utterly mistaken by his cruel ambitions. Five years hence, she pined for his gentleness, what did she get? A touch of pain that hallucinated her dreams even then. The grip in her dagger worsened.

The chants of holy nuptial hymns travelled in the lowest resonance. Aditya's black veil flew off his scarred face, his green orbs met the lady in red. The haunting smile deeply contrasted the helpless eyes he once suppressed.

Alas! Her tears had dried that eve and were inconsolably replaced by raging fire. She had lived and survived just to bring his death. The remarkable evening fell upon her as lucid nightmare. The drunken hag he was, making his way to the Queen's chamber, Chandana pleaded not to awaken the sleeping princess. Her denial made him to grasp her hand as the red glass bangles broke in her wrist.

The eve had returned once again. Her red silhoutte made him to gasp for breathe. The dagger carved heavy scratches in his arms and torso, neither of them he could defend.

"What did you say that night?" She held his neck fiercely. "I give in..." He fought hard to breathe.

"No, for you shall be punished before the Queen." She tied his half-dead corpse and waited for the nuptial to end. Her hand dripped off his filthy blood evacuating the fears, the vengeance from her heart.