Chapter 1

Why today of all days? Why couldn't they be difficult tomorrow, why today? The girl thought as she jogged quickly to her school, she hated being late to anything. Being late draws attention and people are more likely to notice. And she hated attention more than anyone... well, almost anyone.

Once she arrived at the front gate of the school, Riki and Mr. Matsuzaki were waiting for me. Once is was close enough, Riki picked me up and carried me to class under his arm. My cousin may not be the smartest person, but he's one of the most caring. He understood when he saw me that I was tired, so he did what he thought was best at the moment. Riki carried me up the stairs then set me down on my feet when got to the floor our class is on.

"Riki, you know that you don't need to carry me. I would have been fine." She muttered just loud enough for her overgrown cousin to hear.

"I know that, Hikaru! But you're family, and you seem tired from jogging. Hey, why were you late today? You're never late." Riki questioned, after quickly forgetting about the running you did.

"Ah, that. Hisamitsu, Hanako, and Hayate were being difficult this morning. They kept refusing to wake up and get ready, then I had to walk them to school. By the time I was leaving the elementary school and checked my phone, I realized I would have to run and be on time, or walk and get detention. Sorry if I worried you." Hikaru whispered while looking down at her feet in shame, she hated being a burden on her loved ones.

"Nah, it's all good little buddy. C'mon let's get to class." The girls cousin exclaimed while dragging her with him towards their classroom.

When they walked in everyone noticed Riki, but none of them noticed the small girl standing beside him. Not even a certain pink haired psychic. Nobody knew who she was nor did they care, she was completely overlooked and she loved it. Hikaru never enjoyed being the centre of attention, she hated it more then anything in the world.

"You're so funny, Saiki!!" Kokomi Teruhashi said loudly with an obnoxious laugh.

Nevermind, there was one thing Hikaru hated more than attention, someone who craves it. She despises people who look for attention, especially if said person is trying to get it from someone who is clearly not interested. Kusuo Saiki is a boy of few words, Hikaru has a bad habit of staring at him when her cousin is interacting with the pink haired boy. She's never met him, but he seems like a decent person. He doesn't like attention, and he's always tried to decline hanging out with Riki and Kaidou.

After the small girl sat down and everyone went back to doing their own thing, Hikaru couldn't help but wonder if she would have to do the upcoming project with someone. If it was necessary, then she could only pray that she ended up with her cousin. A few minutes later, the teacher entered the classroom and announced that today we were starting the project and that the girls got to chose a partner.

Hikaru's POV

I got excited, but then she pulled out a bag telling us that only the names of the boys were in it. One by one each girl stood at the front and reached her hand in, and pulled out the name of a boy in the class.

I got anxious because there were only 4 names that haven't been picked yet, and only two more girls that had to pick... I was one of those girls.

Teruhashi got up to pick out one of the four names, and just my luck she picked Riki! No! This can't happen! I'm not pairing with another person, I refuse!

"Nakayama, it's your turn to come pick out a name." The teacher called, I hesitantly stood and walked to the front.

I reluctantly put my hand in the bag, "can't I just do it by myself?" I asked the teacher.