Scarecrow

Backstory: The self-proclaimed "Master of Fear" is an ex-professor of psychology in Gotham City who uses a variety of experimental toxins to exploit the phobias of his victims.

Doctor Jonathan Crane is an expert in psychology and biochemistry, skilled in the use of a scythe, and he utilizes the use of fear-inducing gas and toxins.

Jonathan Crane is bullied at school for his resemblance to Ichabod Crane from Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, leading him to become bitter and antisocial and it also sparking his lifelong obsession with fear and using it as a weapon against others. In his senior year, Crane is humiliated by school bully Bo Griggs and rejected by a cheerleader named Sherry Squires. He takes revenge during the senior prom by donning his trademark scarecrow costume and brandishing a gun in the school parking lot; in the ensuing chaos, Griggs gets into a car accident, paralyzing himself and killing Squires.

Crane's obsession with fear leads him to become a psychologist, taking a position at Arkham Asylum and performing fear-inducing experiments on his patients. He is also a professor of psychology at Gotham University, specializing in the study of phobias. He loses his job after he fires a gun inside a packed classroom, accidentally wounding a student; he takes revenge by killing the professors responsible for his termination.

It past comics he often had a habit of speaking in nursery rhymes.

In a past comic Scarecrow is mutated into a murderous creature known as the "Scarebeast", who Penguin uses to kill off his disloyal minions. The character's later appearances all show him as an unmutated Jonathan Crane again.

He also spends some time as a yellow lantern.

He develops a literal addiction to fear, exposing himself deliberately to the revenant army, but knowing that only Batman could scare him again.