02 | It has been a year

***

***

Min Yoongi

It's been a year.

It has been a year ever since I failed to catch Jennie and stop her from falling off that cliff — ever since I failed to save and protect her.

The authorities took Caleb and his gang away back to the city to put them behind bars while me and my friends were spared with Mr. and Mrs. Kim's help.

We didn't hear anything from their group again after that day.

We were brought back to the Kim hospital to get our wounds and injuries treated. Jennie's sisters were hopefully waiting for us to return, and we did, but without their sister.

A search operation was immediately performed to find Jennie or her body. We looked everywhere for her but we saw nothing.

I didn't give up, though. Not when I promised her family that I'll bring Jennie back.

The search went on for three whole months and with great heartbreak, Mr. and Mrs. Kim decided to cancel the operation.

They couldn't accept the fact that Jennie is long gone but their efforts weren't worth it since there was no sign of Jennie around the area where she fell for three whole months.

Operation or not, I still didn't give up.

I held my own search operation and would drive about an hour and a half away four times a week from the city to the area just to look for her.

The others helped too but we still didn't see any sign of her.

I blame myself for what happened.

I blame myself for everything.

If only I didn't befriend her, if only I stayed away from her, if only I avoided her, and if only I didn't fall for her, this wouldn't have happened.

The Kim's would still have their daughter.

The three sisters would still have their sister.

We would still have Bangtan's doctor.

After the incident, Jennie's parents had finally accepted my friends and I's relationship with their daughters.

They may not show it but, it's obvious that they also blame themselves for hurting their daughter by telling her to avoid me.

We all have talked about it and they said that they don't blame me for what happened. They were happy that even at the last moment, I still tried to protect their daughter.

I should be happy because of what they said, they have finally accepted my love for their daughter, but I still can't help but feel guilty for what happened to her.

Other than Jennie's disappearance for a whole year, a lot has happened in the span of twelve months between my friends.

Jin hyung and Jisoo got back together months after the incident.

Jimin and Chaeyoung got together as well. Apparently, they have been in touch for a while long before the incident but didn't put a label because of the girl's parents.

Our youngest is also with Lisa now. Just like Jimin, the two had been in a somewhat intimate relationship long before the incident but were probably too shy to just get on with it.

Hobi and Byeol are together now too. They started off as friends before the incident and have gotten closer when he kept visiting her and helping her recover.

Byeol can finally walk now which is a great thing. She is now a trainee under Park Entertainment for about three months now and Hobi has been helping and supporting her all the way.

We all have.

Namjoon and Jaerin got together too. The two are a different pair but they both work together pretty well.

Finally, Taehyung and Mira are also in a relationship.

After Mira's successful surgery months after the incident, she and Taehyung finally got together like we all expected that they would.

Mira can now finally see. She just graduated with a bachelor's degree before she lost her sight and now, she's been teaching as a preschool teacher at the hospital.

And I'm just... here.

Everyone else has gotten their life back on track but I'm still hanging on in the past. I just can't let go of the fact that if I was just a lot faster or if I protected her better, things wouldn't have ended like this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for my friends, I really am. But I just can't help but feel so angry with the world.

How come they get to have their happy endings and I'm just an extra?

I'M THE MAIN CHARACTER FOR PETE'S SAKE!

But I won't give up.

I'm still going to look for her. I will never give up looking for Jennie.

Wherever she may be.

I'll wait, no matter how long it takes.

"You okay, hyung?" Taehyung asked.

We're at his house right now since his parents are out on a business trip.

Everyone else is with their partners while I'm just an extra character in the lives of six relationships.

"Yeah," I nod at him. "I'm good."

They all looked at me with a worried look and I know that they don't believe a single word I'm saying.

Taehyung hissed in pain when his girlfriend, Mira, punched him by the arm. "Why would you still ask him that?"

"Just trying to make sure!" Taehyung argued and Mira shook her head in disappointment.

The attention was taken back to the couple as everyone kept scolding Taehyung for asking me that question.

I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Yoongi..." I looked up to see Jin hyung looking down at me.

Giving him a forced smile, I nodded. "I'm fine, hyung. There's nothing to worry about me. Just go back there with them."

"I can't leave you if you're feeling like this," He says.

Shrugging, I sighed deeply.

"Well, what can I say? I'm used to feeling like this." I took another sip of wine from the glass in my hand. "Been feeling like this for a year."

Then, Jisoo came over to the two of us and sat down beside me.

"We're here, you know that, right?" She asked.

I nodded, "I know and I'm very thankful. Just thinking about some stuff."

Jisoo nods at my response, "Well, if you ever need company, you can always call one of us."

"Yeah."

The three of us got quiet but the silence wasn't weird or awkward. It was comforting and we could still hear the loud voices from the others.

"We'll find her," Jin hyung says and squeezes my shoulder. "You'll find her."

I nod, "Yeah. I will."