eleven

After Steve left me behind with Carol and Tommy, I decided to ride back into town

After Steve left me behind with Carol and Tommy, I decided to ride back into town. As I'm riding through the town, I look up to see Steve standing up on a ladder, cleaning the sign of the theatre.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Steve 'The Hair' Harrington, doing charitable work," I speak up, hopping off of my bike. I walk to the bottom of the ladder and stand there with my arms crossed, "Why do you look like you've seen a ghost?"

"I... I guess I just didn't expect you to ever want to see me again," Steve sputters.

"I told you, Harrington, you're my best friend. No matter how much or how often you fuck up, I'm going to be there for you."

We stand there for a while, goofy smiles etched on both of our faces. Suddenly, Steve starts to laugh a little.

"What? What's so funny?" I ask with a frown.

"Nothing. I just thought of something."

"Oh, yeah? And what is that?"

"I have the best friend in the entire world," He replies with a sheepish smile.

I can't help but to smile back at him, "Yeah, yeah, I know. Now hurry up so we can get you fixed up and try to go salvage things."

~

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Steve asks me as he puts his car in park.

I look at the Byers house before looking back at him, "I would say she'd be stupid not to forgive you but then again, she has her reasons to be upset with you."

He sighs before looking down at his hands. I continue to stare at him, taking in all of his features. I reach my hand out and run my hands through his hair, "Listen, I know this is hard for you and I know you want everything to be okay. But whatever happens in there, I'm still here for you."

Steve looks up to me and stares deeply into my eyes. He takes my hand from his hair and gently kisses my knuckles. Finally, he offers me a smile before getting out of the car and heading towards the front door. I get out and follow closely behind him.

When we get to the door, Steve bangs on it hard, "Jonathan? Are you there, man? It's... it's Steve.. and Heather! Listen, I just want to talk!"

There is no answer so I decide to speak up, "Jonathan, Steve is here to apologize. I promise he's not here to hurt you. I'm here to make sure of it."

Suddenly, Nancy opens the door, "Steve, Heather, listen to me. You guys need to leave."

"I'm not trying to start anything, okay?"