0 | prologue

A young girl ambled across the cold-tiled flooring of a kitchen. She halted at a fridge and reached out for the handle, swiftly opening it. Searching the interior with her eyes, she then scavenged for an item with her small hands.

Her eyes lit up in victory when she spotted an arrangement of green and red apples in an orange-coloured mesh bag, like the ones you would find in grocery stores.

She extended her arm out for the crisp, ripe fruit, but retracted it when she heard a voice call out her name. Footsteps approached from behind the girl and she looked down in defeat.

"Honey, I thought I told you to wait," a stern, but soothing voice recalled.

"But, Mum, I'm a big girl!" she complained, turning away from the fridge to face the woman.

"I'm sure you are," replied the mother, giving her a small smile. "But, sometimes, you need to leave it to the adults, okay?"

"You were taking too long, though!" the girl argued with a gloomily.

"Well, I'm here now, yeah?" the woman reassured her daughter, "so, how about we start?"

The young girl's pout twitched into a faint grin.

"Okay!"

She grabbed an apple and closed the door to the fridge as her mother walked over to the white countertops of the kitchen.

The woman pulled out a draw that was stocked with utensils. She examined it quickly before deciding on the knife that would best suit the fruit, and placed out in front of her. She then moved onto a cabinet beside it, revealing an exhibit of cutting boards, cups, glasses and a blender.

The mother sighed when the boards were at the rear end of it. The woman bent down and leaned in, carefully rummaging for the desired object. Once she had a hold of it, she navigated it over the wine glasses and hauled it out while a short figure appeared next to her.

"Could you please get me a plate, sweetie?"

The girl gave a meek nod and obliged, continuing to another cabinet as the woman began slicing the apple.

"Blehh!" she exclaimed when she fished out the only plate left.

"What's wrong?" the mother asked, frowning at the girl's sudden distaste.

"It's Disco Broccoli!" she whined, displaying the plastic in her hand that was imprinted with the cartoon.

"I thought you loved Disco Broccoli?"

"His.. Sunglasses are ugly!"

"Is that it?"

"..No.. He's just.. A bit scary."

The woman let out a laugh at her daughter's rather comical explanations, though paused when the doorbell was rung. "Oh, that must be Clement and his parents," the mother announced, setting down the knife.

"It's okay, Mum, I'll get the door!" the girl bounced on the heels of her feet in excitement.

"All right."

She rushed towards the door to unlock it.

Though, her face fell in disappointment when it was only the babysitter her mother assigned her for the week. The girl called out, turning her head to the kitchen. "Mum, it's just Sandra."

"Hey, Y/n," Sandra greeted her as she opened the door, letting herself in.

"Hi," the girl simply replied.

"We're driving down to Warner Robins in about half an hour. Clement and his parents will probably arrive soon, so they'll drop him off here," Explained Y/n's mother as she positioned the apple slices onto the Disco Broccoli plate.