Chapter Three

Towards the end of the day, Keaton could feel the anxiety creeping up on her. She was going to be completely alone with Jack, and the thought of that was driving her up a wall. She was worried that he would in fact be some sort of creep, and she would have to resort to using the pepper spray she kept in her book bag just for emergencies. As the final bell rang, Keaton began making her way towards her locker, making note of yet another large group of girls fawning over Jack. She shoved her way through, stumbling into her locker before regaining her balance and spinning in the combination.

"Did you already do your homework?" Jack asked, turning away from the blonde clinging to his side and focusing all his attention on her. The blonde scoffed, seemingly annoyed by Jacks sudden lack of attention. With a slight smirk, she replied "Yeah, that's what study hall is for."

"Yo, I didn't even know that was a thing round here," he smiled slightly,"Jack told me it was free period for seniors and juniors so we just kind of went to the canteen and played hackey sack the whole time."

Keaton snorted at his obliviousness and smiled. She had taken notice that the girls who'd surrounded Jack earlier were now halfway down the hall, watching them interact as if they were some sort of circus act. It didn't take much to entertain these kids and by the looks of it they were getting a hell of a show. Blacks and whites interacting in any form other than for projects or an argument was unheard of. So seeing Jack and Keaton together was blowing them away.

"Anyway, we're taking my truck." 

"Your truck? Why can't we just meet up there?"

"Because what's the fun in that? We won't be able to socialize and become better acquainted."

Keaton rolled her eyes, checking her bag to make sure everything was inside before closing her locker door. 

"I dunno. Your driving skills might suck to the highest degree and I really don't wanna die."

"Don't be such a baby. Just trust me." he grinned, his eyes bright.

She sighed, tucking her hair behind her ear before nodding.

"If we die, I'm gonna make you suffer in the afterlife."

"I'll be counting on it," he winked before leading them out the front doors of the school. The bright sunshine from earlier that morning had diminished behind a sea of dark rolling clouds.

"It looks like it's gonna rain," Jack noted, taking Keatons bag from her and placing it behind the seat of his truck.  It was a cute pickup truck that was red and white. and had a disco ball hanging from the rearview mirror. The interior was clean on the inside, which surprised Keaton seeing as she had expected it to be dirty or even slightly stained. But instead it was clean white cloth on the seats and the steering wheel was shiny and wooden.

"Pretty nice huh? I paid for her myself and everything. I even re-did the interior a couple years back." he bragged as he opened the side door for her. She climbed in, noting the faint smell of cigarettes lingering in the air before he slammed the door shut and walked over to the other side.

"Where are we going?"

"Well, since it's too windy out for ice cream, how about we grab a burger from Steak 'n Shake?"

"You know where that is?" she smirked.

"I saw it on my way here and I had planned on stopping by anyway." he shrugged before cranking up the car.  As soon as the car turned on, music began playing through the speakers.

"You listen to Michael Jackson?" Keaton laughed as Jack fumbled to turn it down.

"Of course. What else did you expect?"