Chapter 1

Hello everyone, to those who know what Duskwood is - a shame that episode 7 wouldn't be out till later?! I'm still buzzing from episode 6! To those who don't know - Duskwood is a mobile game where you text people to 'read a story' and if you play as female, you fall in love with the hacker?! It sounds mad but I promise it is emotionally rewarding (I cried a few times...) and I absolutely need to get my feelings out somewhere else so I wrote this in expectation of episode 7! It is written in second person because that is how the game is played and for the purposes of the story, I didn't give a name and merely refer to you as MC (as in main character.

Enjoy! x :)
______
You ran your finger through your appointment sheet, making sure that you hadn't missed anyone of your patients. Yep, you definitely sent off all the referrals that were needed. Today had been a long one, what with your triage slot being a retinal detachment that you had to hurry off to the hospital. Maybe, you shouldn't have been an optometrist.

In another life, maybe you could have been an investigator - figuring out disappearances like you had two years ago. The relief you had seen on Thomas and the others brought pure joy to yourself. Which reminded you that you needed to respond to Jessy's texts.

"Hello, Jessy. Sorry I was still at work. A bit of a long day actually. Phil said he'll come pick me up and we'll meet you and the rest at Black Swan. Can't wait to see your dress in person! It looks gorgeous from the photo you sent/spammed me! :)"

You packed up your equipment and got ready to leave. Phil had texted to say he would be here in 5 minutes, which meant you had enough time to hit the loo and grab your coat to go. You would have driven today but there was no way you wouldn't be drinking for today's celebration so Phil had offered to be yor ride.

You didn't prepare any glamorous outfit but your work wear would suffice for the occasion. You straightened out your work dress and ran your fingers through your hair to even out any tangles. Your lipstick was reapplied and you looked decent enough for a party.

Phil had a suit on that made him look like your personal chauffeur when he opened the front door for you. His hair was in perfect place with the wax and it looked like he had spent ages on it. Phil gave you a wide smile and asked you about your day before starting the car.

You guys take off.

The car ride was silent but not awkward. The radio was going and Phil knew that you liked a bit of quiet before a social occasion. Bar tenders were sweet like that; they'd pour you another drink if you looked down, if you needed company they'd talk to you and if you needed quiet they'd leave you be. Besides, the both of you weren't strangers and there was no need for small talk. Unlike before.

You didn't live far from Duskwood, just a 30 minute drive away in the town over. Although, you'd only been there once when Hannah returned to the gang. Every other time you met the others it was either at your town which had more things to do or at the Donfort's holiday house in a different sub-urban area. You liked your friends but not enough to uproot your previous life and job to go live with them.

There was only one person who could make you feel that way and do that. But you haven't seen him and he faded in to memory all too quickly with his disappearance after Hannah was found.

A memory that haunts you every day.

Your eyes darkened slightly and winced at the memory.

"You alright, MC?" Phil asked, concerned. You swore inwardly, bar tenders could smell pain. That's why they made so much money from the alcohol you purchase.

Funny how someone you only got to know over texts and calls could make your heart hurt this way.

"Yeah, just a little hungry because I skipped lunch. Didn't want to ruin my appetite for the best restaurant in Duskwood." Phil didn't look liked he believed you but he didn't press further. Another bar tender habit you supposed.