Chapter 1

Gears tapped and clicked away impatiently at his keyboard, typing out the research report he should've finished ages ago. The clacking of his finger hammering on the keys filled the small office as he continued to struggle to work on the report. Against all of his previous attempts, his mind drifted away from it and to a napping Iceberg...

'Focus! This is the seventh time you've gotten distracted.' His thoughts barked at him. A scowl grew on his face ever so slightly as he leaned forward toward the screen.

Though, to no avail, his mind drifted to his assistant. He focused his gaze away from the computer and toward the Iceberg. Glasses askew, ruffled frosted hair, dark skin, a hand, and forearm propping up his head as the other arm laid on the desk. 'Adorable' Gears thought 'He even drools a little when he's asleep.'

He continued to gaze at Iceberg for several more moments until he snapped back into reality. He huffed a small sigh through his nose. The doctor pondered for a few moments, thinking of a way to prevent himself from getting distracted once more by his assistant. Well, if Gears was more likely to lose concentration when Iceberg was resting. His attention would theoretically improve if Iceberg was awake, right? Even if his hypothesis was incorrect, it was worth testing.

Gears shifted his weight onto his feet, causing the office chair to squeak slightly. Sounds of the light tapping from his shoes on the concrete floor echoed quietly as he strides towards the other's desk. Gears reached his hand out towards Iceberg's, which was on the desk, and gently shook it.

"Dr. Iceberg?" he said softly, being careful as to not startle him, his hand still resting on the researcher's, despite the cold. "You should get back to work."

Still slightly muddled--he mumbled, "Ah sorry, didn't realize I dozed off." He glanced down at their hands touching and retracted his own, rubbing the cheek where his palm was resting and the bits of frozen drool away.

Feeling a wave of warmth washing over his face, he tucked the lower part of his face into his scarf and muzzled it, trying to hide his embarrassment.

Gears simply nodded, seemingly not noticing the other's shame or outright ignoring it. He reminded Iceberg of the papers and documents that he needed to fill out by the end of the day and calmly walked back to his desk to continue the report.

'Oh, God.'

'I was sleeping. When I was supposed to be working.' He started to panic, 'In. Front. Of. Gears.'

'Holy fuck was I drooling too?? He probably thinks I'm so unprofessional.' he turned toward the stack of papers to try to distract his thoughts by working. His eyes darted back to where Gears was typing away at his desk--immersed in whatever he was doing, Iceberg's heart starting to hammer in his chest. He dug his face into his scarf a bit more attempting to hide his face, panicked thoughts racing through his head.

Hands shaking, he picked up his pen and began to write the report. The words were somewhat wobbly from his nervousness.

'It's already bad enough that I like my own boss, but making a fool out of myself in front of him? Ugh, I'm such a mess...' he scolded himself as he gripped the pen harder, trying to force his hand to stop shaking. 'Maybe if I can get through all of this, it'll make it up to him, even just a little.'