Chapter 17: Promise Land pt 1

Say something, Danielle. Anything. This silence is deafening. Danielle thought to herself as she looked out the window into the beautiful Los Angels morning. Since they left Kaylees house Danielle had been flustered and unable to calm her fast beating heart. Nor calm her mind replying the words that Kaylee had spoken to her earlier. Was Kaylee serious about me going with her? Did she really want me to just pack everything up and follow her?. Of course not. There's no way she actually meant it. Did she? So many thoughts clouded her brain.

The silence was broken when Kaylee began to tap on the steering wheel matching the beat of the song currently playing Or Nah By Eric Bellinger. turning up the volume until the base was now banging into Danielle chest. Before she knew it Kaylee started singing, flicking her wrist like she was cutting the air. Danielles eyes widen when she took in the lyrics that her girlfriend was singing. Kaylee took a double take at her girlfriend when she notice her staring.

"What? Too much for your Virgin ears." Kaylee couldn't help but laugh. Danielle only rolled her eyes letting out a chuckle. "Here I'll play something holy for you" Kaylee smiled handing Danielle her phone so she could put something more age appropriate for the younger girl.

"One not virgin ears. Two I listen to this kind of music. The Weeknd's trilogy album my favorite." Danielle laughed putting on the party and the after party. Giving her girlfriend a sly smirk. Kaylee nodded her head in satisfaction singing along to the lyrics.

"You seem to be in a better mood. I didn't scare you off did I?" The last thing Kaylee wanted was to go over the line. She knew her boundaries and only went over whenever Danielle gave her a green light. Scared that if she did one little thing wrong her relationship would end. That was her trama when it came to relationships. Her biggest fear was being used and being alone. But she didn't want Danielle to know just how damaged she was.

"Wh-wha I- uh." Danielle stopped. She took a deep breath and began to relax. "No you didn't scare me off. You could never." That was the end of that conversation. Kaylee kept her eyes focused on the LA traffic. She didn't make an attempt to change the volume on the music hoping that could fill in the tension in the car.

Just say something. Danielle thought once more. But to say something, she'd had to actually have something to say. For some reason, Kaylee paralyzed her once more. Danielle cleared her throat. "Sooo" Danielle began looking around. "Nice weat-"

"Don't make small talk. It only leads to dead end conversation" Kaylee cut Danielle off in a polite and gentle way. Danielle gave a tight lip smile and nodded her head thinking once more.

"I hate small talk. Everything is the same. Nice weather. It depends on the person. To someone it could be a beautiful clear sky day to others it could be a thunderstorm. It take always from what a person truly wants to say. What they're actually thinking." Kaylee began. If it was conversation Danielle wanted Kaylee was going to make an attempt steering clear of small talk.

It's been two month since they started dating and Kaylee really didn't know a lot about her girlfriend. They rarely talked about her and her life because Kaylee was always busy with her life. Danielle in a way took advantage of that and Kaylee knew it since Danielle always asked about Kaylee days and never once mention anything about her. And when Kaylee tried to talk about Danielle, she would try to avoid her questions.

"Tell be about yourself." Kaylee turned to her girlfriend for a moment.

"M-me. There isn't much to say." Was all Danielle could say before directing her attention away. Kaylee raised a brow slightly. The same answer the young girl would always give.

"Danielle, I want to hear about your childhood and your favorite scents and what types of music you like besides my own and where you want to live when you're ready to settle down. I want to know what keeps you up at night and how much certain things mean to you. Your insecurities and your fears. I don't wanna know how nice the weather is" Kaylee took her hand off the steering wheel and grabbed Danielles rubbing her thumb softly against the back of Danielle hand. Danielle was quiet. Unsure of what to say or how to say it. No one had ever asked her about any of the things her girlfriend just mentioned.