Womens Auxilary Air Force

This is just some information. This will also include the next three chapters.
--------------------------------------------------------
The Women's Royal Air Force (WRAF) came into being with the formation of the Royal Air Force in April 1918. However, in 1920 the unit was disbanded, along with the other women's services. The Women's Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF) was formed in June 1939 when war seemed imminent again.
The WAAF came under the administration of the RAF and members did not serve in individual female units, as with its army equivalent the ATS, but as individual members of RAF Commands. The Director of the WAAF was Katherine Trefusis-Forbes, who had served in the Women's Volunteer Reserve in the First World War.

Initially, members of the WAAF were recruited to fill posts as clerks, kitchen orderlies and drivers, in order to release men for front-line duties. However, the occupations open to women recruits diversified as the war progressed. Women in the WAAF were involved in telephony, telegraphy and the interception of codes and ciphers, including at the Government Code and Cypher School at Bletchley Park. They were mechanics, engineers, electricians and fitters for aeroplanes. They undertook the interpretation of aerial photographs and provided weather reports. Many members of the WAAF worked in the radar control system as reporters and plotters. Their work was vital during the Battle of Britain and later in guiding night-fighter aeroplanes against German bombers.