Moonwater Is Thicker Than Blood

Note: I tried to make this one more unique; a newer style and overall tone. I had fun writing this: it's my first time writing from a goddess's point of view and in present-tense at that. (You can tell, this is my longest oneshot ever... nearly 3000 words!)

We know that Artemis had a close friendship with Zoë (May you live forever in our hearts..), but we don't really know what she's like with her Hunters, or about how the Hunt even lives. I think the Hunt has a close bond with eachother- exactly like a family. And I love the thought of Artemis feeling at home with the Hunt.... so voila! Hope you enjoy :)

Pansexual_Dragon 

It is around six in the morning that the goddess of the Hunt usually starts her day. She barely sleeps, as the moon is her domain, and therefore the calm night and the moments after are when she is at peace.

She watches over her Hunters, asleep and blissfully unaware of the world, for it is still dawn, when her brother starts to make his ascent across the sky, his fiery chariot stretching its warmth all over land. He stays unusually silent during that time- Artemis knows he is also appreciative of the moments before morning, while the world is asleep but nature starts to gradually awake.

Even he knows not to disturb her in her time of serenity.

Artemis perches lightly atop a tall boulder where they have set up camp, closing her eyes as the cool breeze ruffles her auburn hair. She is in the form of a fifteen year old today. Many of her Hunters are around this age, and she finds herself in this form more often, though less than her twelve year old form, perhaps to give off a more welcoming, familiar warmth to her Hunters.

The Hunt sleeps late into the night, and late into morning. It has become a habit throughout the years; with Artemis's blessing, they too bask in the elation of evening hunts and late-night sprints through the cool forest, stargazing before they sleep. Artemis is not a strict or unkind leader. She lets her Hunters rest fully; it is only natural that the majority do not wake until after 8 or 9 in the morning. Rarely anyone wakes as early as six.

But of course, there are exceptions to everything.

"My Lady," a voice calls gently.

Artemis turns and is half- surprised to see her lieutenant and half-sister's slim form standing a few feet away from where she sits.

"Thalia," Artemis smiles. "I do think I've told you not to call me that. You are sister to the Hunt and sister to myself, both by spirit and ichor, after all." She chides playfully.

Thalia sits next to her on the boulder. She leans back, stares at the hues of light dancing across the sky, and breathes in the cool air of dawn.

"Well, Artemis, I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep, so here I am. Must've had too much green tea yesterday night."

Artemis knows caffeine doesn't work like that. Besides, the Hunt drinks moonwater as a means of refreshment. Green tea is present, though, for emergency situations, but Artemis doesn't recall seeing anyone drinking the tea yesterday night.

She knows Thalia is holding back, and she worries.

"That is somewhat hard to believe." She remarks instead.

Thalia stares into the distance, silver circlet balanced crookedly on her messy black hair. She pulls her silver parka closer around herself.

"Nightmares." She says at last, smoothing back her hair. "I can deal with them, though."

Artemis hums sympathetically. Demigod dreams are known to be an intuitive but terrifying experience.

She lays an arm on her sister's shoulders in a comfortable side-hug. The Hunters are affectionate with each other, and while Artemis doesn't usually partake in it, it feels familiar to be close to her sister. The Hunt is rather like a big family after all, contrary to popular and incorrect belief of them being military and strict.