The Training

Alanah, Izzy and Blathnaid met on the corner of Yellow Street at 3:00pm as planned. They had each told Nell that they had to spend time with family and so Nell didn't bother to ask why. They got the bus out to rural Blessington in Wicklow where the helicopter was waiting for them. They all sat in and connected their radios. The pilot, Kate Byrne, turned around to greet them. "Ready?" she asked. Blathnaid nodded, making sure nobody would chicken out and the helicopter took off. After seven hours of turbulence and boredom, Kate confirmed that Mr. Peroy said it was safe to land. As the helicopter touched down in the green field, the girls felt the difference in heat hit them. Mexico, there was no turning back now.

Mr. Peroy was waiting for them at the entrance to the training centre. He greeting them, with no smile but just a shake of his hand. "Welcome to the Peroy Training and Resource Centre" he said, almost lifeless. They were shown their rooms, which turned out to be 3 metres long and 2 metres wide, cover in pealing cream paint with only a rusty bed frame and locker in each room. This had been expected and did not surprise the girls at all. They left their suitcases in the rooms and headed to meet the other trainees at dinner. As they walked down the corridor, Izzy noticed that every room was the same with the name of the resident on the door. A few people with name tags walked past, all carrying big machine guns and batons. They had reached the dining room.

It was a long room, carpeted with red velvet material with framed portraits of the former leaders hanging on the walls. A wooden table stretched to the very end of the room with 17 odd chairs that didn't match the table laid out. One at the top and bottom for Mr. Peroy and Mrs. Fewdop, the leaders. There were no seats left beside each other and instead of making a fuss the girls just sat separately, far from each other. Mr. Peroy announced "Thank you all for joining us, I will explain everything later but first lets eat!" He clapped his hands and many butlers and chefs came rushing into the room with hot plates of food. Placed in front of everyone was a napkin, knife, fork, a glass of a strange liquid and some sort of meat neither Izzy, Blathnaid nor Alanah had ever seen. Mrs. Fewdop saw them looking confused by the odd meat and said "Eat up, it's only jellyfish."

Once dinner was finished, Mr. Peroy's voice boomed through the room, "Lets get to know each other then!"