Chapter 1: Lost sight

Dream, please don't- I didn't mean to, I swear."

Tommy had been doing so good recently; compliant, soft-tones, and all around such a good friend. Dream was suspicious, to say the least.

"No, no- please! I'll listen, I swear!"

So when Dream visited his dear friend next, he decided to pay a bit more attention to the boy. It's then that he saw the way Tommy would flinch at the raise of his voice, how he'd start shaking the closer Dream got to the small home in Logsted.

"Put the TNT down, Dream, please. We don't- you don't need to do this."

Dream had accidentally stumbled upon Tommy's private little stash below the floor. He thought his response to finding it was pretty valid.

Blow it up.

Everything- every. last. item Tommy had would be destroyed. Everything the boy gathered, everything Dream had graciously given him, all of the structures Tommy slaved over was blown to pieces under his feet. Still, it did little to quell the anger Dream had building in his chest. "You disobeyed me, went behind my back, and hid items I took to protect you. You need to learn a lesson, Tommy."

Dream began digging the familiar hole in the ground, lighting a piece of dynamite in preparation. "Put everything in your pockets in the hole. Everything. Your stupid little compas, your bandana, all those pictures of your precious Tubbo. All of it."

"Dream, please- I learned my lesson! I swear, I did!" Tommy begged, voice choked with emotion. "Please, no more."

"You wound me Tommy," Dream hissed. "You knew what you were doing the whole time. You knew it would upset me."

Tommy's eyes watched the fuse slowly burn away, a silent countdown between him and Dream. He felt fear boil in his chest and froze him in place. "No- no, I wouldn't do that to you, we're friends! I would never!" His tongue felt like lead in his mouth.

Dream stepped closer, the stick of TNT practically shoved in Tommy's face. "I know what you were doing, I knew you were hiding something."

Light flickered across the smiling mask, the flame's light giving it a more intimidating appearance. Dream pressed the explosive close to the teen and sneered at the fear across Tommy's face. The fuse burned out, a second of silence filled the air before a ricocheting bang. Dream dropped the stick before it blew, taking a few steps back and using his arms to shield his face and mask.

Tommy fell backwards with a shriek of pain, the blast hitting his skin full-force. A shrill ringing filled the otherwise silent, destroyed clearing. The boy pressed his palm firmly against his ears, drawing back as the sticky, familiar liquid coated his hands. Blood.

The ringing grew in volume as his head spiked with pain. Tommy could only barely hear the mumbling of voices, numbly aware of the painful spasms in his face and hands. Tears slid slowly from his eyes and tore down his face in blazing trails of pain.

Tommy forced his eyes open, flinching at the flare of pain behind them. His eyes were open- at least he thought -so why was everything so dark?

Reluctantly, he pried his eyes open again. His breathing became sporadic the longer he kept his unseeing eyes open. Why couldn't he see?

The teen flinched away when a hand gently grabbed his shoulder, bloody hands coming up to shield his already wounded face. He could hardly hear the soft voice in front of him, but he felt oddly comforted by it.

"...mmy."

The ringing dulled to the smallest degree and Tommy realized he could just faintly make out the words in the voice.