Chapter 4

'Somewhere, there's a version of me that woke up next to you and, maybe, that's enough.' - Blake Auden

"Going somewhere?"

I haven't gotten far. One ankle covered by my flimsy dress and the top half of my body barely concealed by his t-shirt. I'm still so close to his bed that I can feel the warmth radiating from his bedsheets.

In my failed attempt to sneak out, I'm left bent over with my head facing the floor, trying to come up with an excuse.

"You don't need to sneak out on me." He exhales as he sits up in his bed beside me, crinkling his sheets throughout the process. "I'll take you home whenever you want."

The guilt creeping up my throat overwhelms me.

"I'm sorry." I blurt out, feeling the dress drop to the floor like my heart drops to my stomach as I turn to face him, the heat of the sun rising to my cheeks. "I've never done this before."

I bite my lip, but my teeth feel like daggers piercing into my skin under his emerald gaze.

"Neither have I." He shrugs, and I feel hotter and hotter with each second that passes as his smile fades into a smirk.

I felt so cool and calm last night, why do I feel so hot and bothered now?

"You think I'm lying?" He asks softly, noticing the disbelief written all over my face.

He sparks an even brighter flame between my ears as he stares at me, awaiting a reply; tensing his shoulders and showcasing his dimples, which only makes me blush deeper.

"You just seem like the type of guy that gets a lot of girls." I sigh, masking my embarrassment with nonchalance in an attempt to dim the flames blazing in my mouth, but something about his shimmering, sea green eyes tells me that he sees straight through me.

The taste of metal emanates from my tongue as I regret not biting it sooner.

Why did I just say that?

"You seem like the type of girl that gets a lot of guys." He bites back in the same way he bites his cheeks, causing his dimples to sink even further, and I can't tell if he's offended by what I said or if he really means it.

I try to imagine being the type of girl that gets a lot of guys; dancing in a nightclub wearing a little black dress, surrounded by a crowd of tall, attractive men like Maya always is; walking through a sea of people who each take it in turn to ask for my number, offer to take me on a date or compliment me like they do Kadeesha; showering twice a day to burn the feeling of someone's kisses off my skin like Zaina used to.

"I'm not that type of girl."

"And I'm not that type of guy."

He squints at me, his chocolate brown hair now a mess compared to last night, and under the light of the sun peeking through the blinds over the patio doors behind me, he looks more handsome than anyone I've ever seen.

He's definitely that type of guy.

"Look, I'll take you home, but..." He begins before climbing out from under his bedsheets, revealing his long, toned body and robust torso wrapped only by his tight black Calvin Klein boxers, looking like an angel but smirking like the devil. "At least, let me make you some breakfast first."

He's so close to me now that the warmth of his skin almost burns me, igniting a fire in my chest, nearly suffocating me.

"Okay."

***

I'm back in the all-white kitchen from last night, only it looks much different in daylight. The sun reflects off the milk-white countertops, creating a warm aroma in the room.