Chapter 1

I drag my old, battered suitcase onto the bumpy floor of platform 10 and impatiently wait for my train back home.

A 10kg suitcase and a handbag; that's all I had time to pack whilst he was in class this morning. I'll have to grab the rest next week during my last few days of term.

Manchester Piccadilly - London Euston 16:55 On Time

Thank God. I am tired, I am stressed, and I'm trying to pretend that I'm not heartbroken or else I'll end up crying in front of a load of strangers at the busiest train station in London in about two hours time.

The sound of tapping fingernails all around me encourages me to check my phone to see how long I have left to wait. 16:35. Twenty minutes. And twenty percent battery remaining. I hope there's a plug socket near my seat.

Twenty minutes should be enough time to grab some food. I'm starving - I've not eaten since the argument this morning before he left - and I know there's plenty of places to eat around here.

I trail my stuff over to the dimly-lit, lifeless Upper Crust and grab myself a ham and cheese baguette and a hot chocolate from the timid salesperson before making my way back to platform 10.

Damp, littered platform 10, but it's platform 10.

Platform 10. I'm going home.
Breathe.

The platform is surprisingly quiet for a Friday evening; I would have thought Manchester to London would be a popular journey for this time of day, but there is only a scatter of glum, suited-and-booted workaholics chewing gum and patting their feet on the floor across the dark and dingy platform.

The train arrives on time and I'm met with the smell of fresh bleach mixed with old coffee as the lady over the speaker begins to confidently inform us of the journey we will be taking.

I'm one of the first people to get on - phew - so I find myself a clean, empty red seat with a tidy white table, some leg room and a plug socket at the side.

I settle into my surprisingly comfy seat and take a sip of my hot chocolate.

"Ow!" I shout out loud, causing a professional-looking stranger to turn around and glare at me and my scolded tongue in disgust.

I soothe the burn with a bite of my cold, hard sandwich as I begin to make myself at home.

'I'm on the train.' I message the group chat once I've plugged my phone in and connected to the train Wifi.

'Can't wait to see you!' Kadeesha replies enthusiastically.

'See you at 7.' Zaina texts back.

'Doing my makeup on the train to distract myself.' I send as I laugh at the sight of my brushes and palettes cluttering the table in front of me. At least I've got plenty of time to get dolled up.

'Whatever you do, just don't touch your hair...' Maya says suspiciously. That normally only means one thing.

'Have you got me a wig?' I ask straight-up. She knows a new hairstyle is the perfect way to cheer me up.

'Can you not keep anything as a surprise?' I can picture her right now; hand on hip, shaking her head.

'I hate surprises.'

'Bore.'

I shake my head and begin to think of ways to repay her as I pull my thick, curly hair into a bun on top of my head.

                                             ***

Two hours later, I arrive at Euston train station with a face full of make-up and a jeans back-pocket full of food wrappers.