Chapter 1. Come to Shiratorizawa

Ushijima W

I was running towards the net getting ready for a spike, I jump and spike the ball with a mass amount of force. As usual, getting the point, I heard the whistle signaling we had won. As usual, I score most of the points, they always set towards me because of my mass amount of strength and coordination. After that match, I go check to see the next team we would most likely be facing. They seem to favor 'Kitagawa Daichii' interesting, maybe they'll have more worthy opponents.

           I walk away from the board and head towards the stands to sit and wait for the next team. I sit down and watch the next team we should be watching, they don't seem that special. I stare at the match noticing their pretty tall setter, he has my interest. I spend most of the match watching the setter in action, he has much potential. I could see someone walking up to me at the corner of my eye "Ushijima, you're staring pretty hard.. something peak your interest?" One of my teammates I could care less about says, I simply nod and continue watching.

           Around thirty minutes pass and we are currently playing against the team, of course, they can't really do much. But they are trying their hardest, I'll give them that. But I did tend to lose my focus looking at that setter they had, he was positive and pretty decent at what he did. Why was I so invested in someone that isn't standing out?

     After getting through the first set the second set seemed to go by even faster, they couldn't win a single set. After landing the last spike I stood there looking at their setter. The setter noticed and looked back at me. My eyes couldn't stop going to him, why am I so invested in him? He looked frustrated, did I do something wrong? I opened my mouth to say something but was interrupted by him grunting and running off, Interesting. Why would he run away knowing we have to do the handshake right after?

After shaking everyone's hand I finally got to the setter, he couldn't even look at me as we shook. I decided to just not say anything, I feel like it would set him off. As we walked back to our teams, I looked at him walk away. Why can't I help but stare at him, it feels weird. From the looks of it, he really doesn't like me, I don't like that.

                  A few years later

I wake up before my alarm, I usually set one just in case I don't wake up. I shut it off beforehand and I look around the room before getting out of bed letting my feet hit the cold floor. I still remember that boy from the junior high team, I found out his name was Oikawa Toru. I've never seen him that much, other than the fact we played against each other many times. He's never won a single set against me, I kinda feel bad. He's still one of the best setters at that, I want to play another match against him.

I hear my phone ringing, I pick it up from my nightstand seeing that it is Tendou. "Hello Tendou," I say into the phone as I go into my closet to get my uniform. "Wakatoshi! You wanna walk to school with me!?" I could hear the enthusiasm clearly, after finding the proper clothing I put it on my bed. "If that's what you want, I'm leaving at the normal time.. so do be here on time," I say slipping the shirt on and buttoning it up. "Of course Wakatoshi! I'll be there ASAP" with that Tendou had hung up, he's too enthusiastic for my taste. I wonder what Oikawa is like, is he as energetic as Tendou? There I go thinking about that setter in a situation he has no involvement in.

              After finishing getting ready I head to the door and put my shoes on grabbing my volleyball bag. I open the door and head out locking the door behind me. I turn around to see a panting Tendou, he must've really wanted to walk with me. I watch him waiting for him to stop, he didn't seem to plan to. I walked next to him and started patting his back, it's not that important to walk with me. "You okay now?" I ask trying to get going, he nods and I start walking with Tendou behind me. After a few minutes of walking I see someone I'd never thought I'd see just walking around.

Oikawa.

I was surprised. I start walking towards them, I could hear Tendou suck his teeth in anger. "Oikawa Toruu" I could see him make a little jump, I guess he wasn't expecting a deep voice to call him. He looked back at me with a glare, I just waited for a response. "What do you want Ushiwaka!?" He spat out, he must be mad at something. "Are you mad about something? You didn't seem to be mad when I was walking up." I ask because I genuinely don't understand how he got mad so fast. "I just need you... away from me! That's all I want!" He yelled looking very frustrated, I just raised an eyebrow at him as he talked. "If that's what you want, but I actually just wanted to talk to you," I say and start walking away with Tendou still following behind me.

I heard Oikawa call for me and I turn around, It looked like he regretted it. I stand there waiting for him to say something. "Why did you want to talk to me?" He wasn't looking at me when he said that, he can't look me in the eyes? "Why don't you join Shiratorizawa, your skills could be expanded and used to their fullest potential," I said explaining that he needs to use his skills somewhere useful.

He scoffed at me and shook his head. "Why would I do such a thing? I should be able to climb the ranks without joining you!" The last few words coming out in attempted aggression. "The offer stands, do not forget" I grab a paper from my bag and write my number on it giving it to Oikawa, he grabs it hesitantly then balls it up. "No thanks, bye Ushiwaka." He said then walked away, paper still in hand. I have a feeling that he is in denial, that's okay. He'll come through eventually. I look towards Tendou and nod my head in the direction of the school, he nodded and started walking with me towards the school.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Hey hey hey my precious reader! Thank you so much for reading chapter one. It might not be the best intro but it's a great start! See you in the next chapter!