// prologue //

The first time I walked into Crimson Public Library was the first time I experienced true love. I didn't know what love was until I picked up my first Junie B. Jones book in the Children's Den. I remember the nanny taking me on play dates and hosting my birthday parties in that very room with temporary friends. That library changed my life in ways you couldn't dream. Well, you probably could but living it was so much better. 

Growing up, I didn't have much. I grew up on the Upper East Side of New York. My father died when I was seven and my mother was always working. She'd ship in nannies and sacks of toys for me as a child. You may be asking yourself 'what is she talking about? She has everything, right?' Wrong. My mother was never around and the nannies never stuck for long. So, what's the point in having all this stuff if you have no one to share it with? I was only a kid, but I knew the difference between having my mother present, and having a new gadget on my bed with a tag reading, "Happy Birthday - Mom." She might've not realized how this was affecting me, but I certainly did. That's why I enjoyed reading and hanging out at Crimson so much. Not only was it the place where I first felt love, but also the place where I found my first love.