First Text of Many

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: FIRST TEXT OF MANY    

     Carter hung up, her Mom had gone bizarre. What did she expect? That her Mom would be perfectly fine with the situation? The opposite. Carter asked if she could stay the night at Alley's, and her Mom said that was fine but she would miss school to go car shopping. The plan sounded good enough, but Carter would have to cancel her plans with Kyle, her date to the ball(!). Maybe not. If she could get a new car by after school, she could still follow through with their afternoon plans to go eat so they wouldn't go to the Winter Ball as strangers. Awkward.

     Carter dialed Kyle's number.

     "Hello?" Kyle answered.

    "Sorry I'm calling so late. I was in a car accident so I won't be at school but we can still go to Danny's maybe after school for a hamburger or something." Carter said.

    "Are you okay?" Kyle asked.

    "Yeah, sure. See you tomorrow."

    "See ya." They both hang up.

     In the other room, Alley was just off the phone with her Mom who totally flipped. Her Mom was on her way home, and was probably having a heart attack. Her Mom would take her and Claire to school tomorrow. Yeah, her mommy will drop her off to highschool. Lovely.

     Alley rolled over onto her stomach on the couch, and thought about Blake. She wanted him to be her date, but no. That was over. Alley had to get over it. Clearly, they weren't meant to be if they were not together right now because somebody like Ammie a little more than just a friend... Stupid Blake.

     Alley had a thought that just occured to her. She may not get a date to the Winter Ball. It was almost midnight, which meant it was almost Friday, and the day after Friday was Saturday, the day of the dance. Was it too late to get a date? Was it? It seemed that way for sure.

     Claire was still in a daze when she hung up from talking to her date to tell him she was okay and that she was sleeping over at Alley's house and Alley's mom would take her to school in the morning. That kiss. After everything Claire put Daren through he still liked her. Maybe he wouldn't take her to the Ball, but maybe they would still have a chance. He hadn't been rude in the car, he had been anything but rude or anything like rude. He had been nice and caring, even though Claire had treated him like dirt. Claire wouldn't have been able to act like he had. But she had to face the facts. Claire couldn't get a date so close to the dance. Everyone was taken. Maybe she just wouldn't go and work on her arguement in Debate class with Sara. Maybe she would go to the dance by herself and pick up someone there. But that would be embarrassing. She was in the Beauties, and she didn't have a date to one of the biggest dances of the year.

     All the girls were in the living room now, and none of them had a cell phone stuck to their heads.

     "I don't have a date to the biggest dance of the year." Alley wailed.

    "Uh uh, Prom is the biggest dance of the year." Claire disagreed.

    "Okay, then the second biggest dance the year." Alley restated.

   "Homecoming beats the Winter Ball. " Carter joined in, and leaned over to get her vibrating phone.

   "Don't get that!" Alley demanded.

   "It might be my Mom or Kyle." Carter said, and read the text. She didn't know who it was from. But she read it.

                                     HOPE MY FAKE DEER DIDN'T HURT YOU IN THAT

                                     CAR ACCIDENT. BE A BETTER DRIVER NEXT TIME.

                                                       -UNKNOWN

     "What?" Claire asked. Carter shakily read the text aloud.

     "We were the only one on that road." Alley said.

     "Apparently not." Carter shook her head in disbelief.

SORRY THE CHAPPIE IS SO SHORT!I WROTE THIS IN SCHOOL, 7TH HOUR AND CLASS IS ENDING! THANKS FOR READING, AND HOPEFULLY YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO! (COMMENT AND VOTE) :~D