Chapter 1

"How did you get your scars Quill?"
"Your scars make your face look ruined."
"Did someone hurt you?"
"Was it your parents?"
"Did your parents hurt you?"

    SHUT UP!! I don't have to answer any of your questions! Nor do I give a shit! It's overwhelming, the questions overlapping in my head. Never shutting up. The only comfort I have from these thoughts is the forest. The river, the sound of the lapping water and the animals music playing around me. I took a deep breath, in my nose, out my mouth. Trying to calm down. I jumped up into a tree, the texture of the bark giving me a sense of reality. My body feels distant from my mind and soul. Like they were three separate beings.

    I heard a rustling in the bushes and turned quickly, standing up on the branch. Scanning the area. Looking for the source of the sound. I saw just a bit of black hair popping up, "Hey, you're there! Show yourself!" I yelled. Hopping down from the tree as the tall male backed away from the bush, "Calm down smallfry, it's just me." the red skinned boy said, "...Luci?" I asked. The boy smirked, "You miss me?" he asked and I ran up and hugged him, pushing him to the ground, "Where have you been?" I said and punched him in the face but quickly my smile returned.

    "I missed you." I whispered as he wrapped his arms around me. "Careful smallfry, this body is fragile." I gave him a look of 'mhm, definitely' A look he got a lot from me a lot in the 12 years I've known him. I met Luci a long time, back when we were 5...

    I was crying, attempting to run my way home before bigger arms wrapped around me and lifted me with such ease and kept running toward the small town I lived in. My face dripping in blood and the pain; unbearable. Tears streamed down my face in the bucket loads and a voice spoke to me, my eyes were closed but I could only assume it was the stronger boy, "Hey, calm down. I'm getting you out of here." he said, panting. Obviously tired and when we got back to the village. He set me down and looked me in the eyes, "Breathe smallfry, it'll be alright."

    He helped me with the wounds on my face and we stayed friends after that, he would protect me and I would follow him blindly. Putting all my trust into him at all times. But two or three months ago, he just... disappeared. I was lost, alone and had no protection. I feared for my life most of the time in those two months. Time passed slow and most days I found myself thinking he was dead. Or that he had left him forever. What's the point anyway. He would always be the big, strong hero and I would always be the small weakling who needed protection.

    It was sad really. How I needed a bodyguard... "Hey! Smallfry you zoning out there! You're still on me. Could you get off?" he asked and I realized I was still on him and my face flushed as I sat up and backed away a few feet. "Should we head back to the village?" I asked and he quickly said yes and we made our way back to the small village we called home.

    "Oh! Look at that! Quill's bodyguard is back!" A tall boy leaning against a tree said. Luci glared at him but I put a hand on his chest and turned to the guy, "You know, there is no reason to call my best friend my bodyguard."  I said and the kid walked over. Luci tried to lunge forward but I held him back. It was only when he went to hit me that Luci jumped forward and tackled him. Landing hits on his face, chest and neck leaving him a bloody and bruised mess. I started to walk away, not daring to look back. Luci eventually caught up with me, "Look, I didn't kill him, don't give me that look." Luci said to me and looked over as I glared at him.

    "I can take care of myself. You don't always have to step in." I said, annoyed. He grabbed my arm and turned me toward him, "I.. don't need a bodyguard anymore Luci!" I said and pulled my arm away, running the rest of the way back to the village. Thoughts rushed through my head as I ran, my heart pumping fast and my mind racing. My legs are aching but I ignored it cause I didn't want to talk to him right now. My breathing was getting heavier. I closed my eyes for only a moment when I ran head first into a tall branch and fell back. I reached up at my head, scratches filling it and blood remaining on my hand as I pulled away and looked at it.